Text from page 10:
Search for Classmates, Friends, and Family in one
of the Largest Collections of Online Yearbooks!
Your membership with E-Yearbook.com
provides these benefits:
- Instant Access to Millions of Yearbook Pictures Online
- Full Access to High-Resolution, Full-Color Images
- Search, Browse, Read, and Print Yearbook Pages
- Access College, High School, and Military Yearbooks
- Support the Schools in our Program by Subscribing
Our School Heritage
Early schools in the area in the late 1830's were built of logs, a huge
fireplace with stick and clay chimney, one window, and one door. Floors
were of split logs, and the roof was clapboards. In the early 1900's, one
and two-room wood and brick school houses began to appear.
The Letsinger school Crightj , on South Meridian Street Road , is one of the
wood structures still standing. These high school boys illustrate that though
the school is obsolete in 1976 , beards and mustaches are back in style.
Latta's Creek school Ccenter lefty is located on the Shanklin Street East
road in Wright Township. It was named for John Latta, Greene County's
first settler. Margaret Wasnidge, one of our oldest retired teachers, is pic-
tured with some Shakamak Elementary students.
Bogle school fcenter rightj is located on State Road 59 in Lewis Town-
ship. Pictured are several retired teachers. ROW 1, Left to Right: Frances
Birdsong, Nell Heath, Margaret Brannon, Mable Walraven, Wilburn Rowe,
Juanita Rowe, John Liston. ROW 2: Lome Smith, Agnes Smith, and Wayne
The "old" COALMONT High School Qrightb was com-
pleted in 1911 and was used until 1936 when the present
building was built. The gym was completed in 1950 .
The first meeting of the Lewis Township Alumni was
planned by a committee consisting of LaDonna Marsh,
Frances Birdsong, Margaret Samm, Ressie Bigger, and
Dean Stark. It meets the Saturday night before Mother's
Day each year. The Coalmont Alumni Association has a
mailing list of '700 people. Officers for the 1976 meeting
were: Bill Cochran, presidentg Richard Keller, vice-presi-
dent: Norma Bemis and Martha Hardesty, secretaries: and
Bernadine Richey , treasurer.
yyty y.,,, E ,, ynnyyc f p I 1
' f f W an .,, ,”