Text from page 5:
Search for Classmates, Friends, and Family in one
of the Largest Collections of Online Yearbooks!
Your membership with E-Yearbook.com
provides these benefits:
- Instant Access to Millions of Yearbook Pictures Online
- Full Access to High-Resolution, Full-Color Images
- Search, Browse, Read, and Print Yearbook Pages
- Access College, High School, and Military Yearbooks
- Support the Schools in our Program by Subscribing
PROGRESS AT RICHBUR6
pressure brought to bear on any rural district consid-
ering centralizing. All the Board members, who
have taken part in the centralization, should be com-
mended highly for the way in which they attained
a reality-the Richburg Central School.
As a result of this business-like procedure the
following common school districts, Nos. 2 CPine
Grovej, 5 CWirt Centerl, 7 CCottrellD, 8 CPleas-
ant Valleyj, 10 CDimmickD of the town of VVirt,
and Union Free School district No. 1 of the towns
of Wirt and Bolivar, at a meeting on June 29,
1926, voted and organized as a Central Rural
School district. The new school district was des-
ignated as Central School District No. 1 of the
towns of Wirt and Bolivar, Allegany County.
The Board of Education chosen by the people to
head the new centralization consisted of: Floyd
Saunders, president, James S. Johnston, Clarence F.
Allen, Herbert L. Wightxnan and Henry Millis.
At the first meeting the new Board appointed
Wilfred J. Coyle as the first Principal of the new
Central School. Elmer Cowles was appointed clerk
and tax collector of the Board and Gerald Wight-
ln the first year of centralization, transportation
of pupils from outlying districts became an immedi-
ate problem. The P. S. 85 N. R. R. Co. contracted
to provide railroad transportation for the pupils
from Wirt Centerg the train to arrive about 8:15
and to return at 4:00 P. M. The O. B. S. Trac-
tion Co. contracted to furnish transportation for the
pupils from the Cottrell district. L. A. Wightman
contracted with the Board to furnish transportation
for those living in the Dimmick and Pleasant Val-
ley districts. Harold Steiner contracted to provide
transportation for the Pine Grove district. During
severe winter weather it was necessary to bring the
pupils from some sections of the district by horse
3. lnavale School
4. Dimmick School
As early as December 1928 it was found that the
new school building lacked suihcient storage space
so, an additional' room, size 16 x 11 feet to be used
for storage, was added to the present building.
After many discussions in regard to increasing
the educational services, it was decided in August
1928 to initiate business and physical education
departments that fall. Seven typewriters were pur-
chased and Priscilla Broadwell was employed as in-
structor. Miss Iva Jackson was employed as the first
physical education instructor.
In January 1929 the people residing in the Dim-
mick School district decided to close their school and
bring all their pupils to Richburg. This school, al-
though a part of the original centralization, had
been kept open for the first six grades.
The Board of Education decided in the spring of
1929 that their school enrollment was increasing to
such an extent that they should still further increase
their educational offerings and as a result it was de-
cided to open music and art departments in the fall.
Dorothy LeChien was employed to this position and
opened these departments in the Richburg Central
School in the fall term of 1929.
At the annual school meeting in August 1929 the
School Board was authorized to dispose of the dis-
trict school houses known as Pine Grove, Wirt Cen-
ter, Cottrell, and Pleasant Valley. This was the
beginning of the loss of identity of the old common
school districts in our community. In the state of
New York, previous to central rural school districts,
there were approximately ten thousand common
school districts, however, the increase in central
schools to the present time has cut the number of
common school districts more than half.
It was decided in the spring of 1930 to employ a
man as physical education director full-time. Ira
Brown was employed to this position and continued
to serve the district well for eleven years.