High-Resolution, Full Color Images Available Online
Search, Browse, Read, and Print Yearbook Pages
View College, High School, and Military Yearbooks
Browse our digital annual library spanning centuries
Support the Schools in our Program by Subscribing
Page 241 text:
Ijurrnl Mr m
Duiu l rSulrno
Fresno State 37 97
Boise State 37 71
wsu 62 96
Washington 65 98
Oregon 25 138
Fresno State 17 100
Boise State 17 64
wsu 40 94
Washington 25 107
Oregon 51 76
OSU Senior Jenna Stark stays ahead of her University of Oregon opponents during the 100 meter hurdle run.
Stewart Trost makes his way through the 1500 meter run at the Pac-10 Championships.
Beth Nygren, sophomore, strains to push herself to a new personal best during the shot put action.
Preparing for her first jump in the qualifying round of the high jump is Kim Fenton, a freshman in science.
Track and Field 237
Page 240 text:
Sophomore Dave Turnbull executes his triple jump effort with seemingly effortless motion.
After sitting out last year because of an ankle injury, Pole vaulterCreg Likens makes his comeback over the top.
OSU freshman Jason Nunoz runs the short hurdles before a captive track stand full of spectators.
to compete at all.
“I was injured a week before steeple," said a disappointed Van Calcar.
How did athletes come to be a part of the OSU track program? Although OSU recruited some high school athletes, around 60% of the team was made up of walk-ons, people who simply tried out for the team on their own. The other 40% was made up of students on full or partial scholarships.
According to McNeil, only the top 2% of U.S. athletes made it to the collegiate level in the first place. Simply competing at that level was a triumph in itself.
Junior Jenna Stark was a
prime example of a successful walk-on. She held the school record for the 400 meter with a time of 59.84. For the 1987 track season, she received awards for most valuable, most inspirational and most improved athlete.
But Stark was not the only team member to receive awards. The women's outstanding senior award went to Peterka. She and sophomore Kelly Kaser were team captains for the women's team.
Awards for the men's team went to junior John Thomas and sophomore Calvin Nicholson, who were named the most valuable athletes. Junior Guy Oekerman, junior
Dave Turnbull and Nicholson were all named winners of the most inspirational award. Thomas was also chosen as the most improved athlete and hurdler Brad Carman received the outstanding senior award.
Throughout the year, each individual competed with both school pride and a personal goal in mind. Awards were handed out and school records were set, but the team would always remember this was a year for coming back and making progress towards both professional and personal goals. □ by Laura Larsen
Willuro $ h.Wt h
236 Track and Field
Page 242 text:
Shoelaces are frozen solid in on upright position after an overnight freeze in the boathouse as novice men prepare for morning practice on the river.
A common crew tradition after morning practice for the Varsity men are "30 Jumpies" for the last lactic acid burn of the day.
Doing double duty on the docks by filling in for coxswain and directing traffic on the dock before launching a shell is novice womens Karen Hill.
Crew coach Dave Kmigh heads down stream to give technical advice on new techniques and strategies while coxswain Becky Schneider listens and learns.
Mui Crumrr tl
Suggestions in the Oregon State University - Beaver Yearbook (Corvallis, OR) collection:
Are you trying to find old school friends, old classmates, fellow servicemen or shipmates? Do you want to see past girlfriends or boyfriends? Relive homecoming, prom, graduation, and other moments on campus captured in yearbook pictures. Revisit your fraternity or sorority and see familiar places. See members of old school clubs and relive old times. Start your search today!
Looking for old family members and relatives? Do you want to find pictures of parents or grandparents when they were in school? Want to find out what hairstyle was popular in the 1920s? E-Yearbook.com has a wealth of genealogy information spanning over a century for many schools with full text search. Use our online Genealogy Resource to uncover history quickly!
Are you planning a reunion and need assistance? E-Yearbook.com can help you with scanning and providing access to yearbook images for promotional materials and activities. We can provide you with an electronic version of your yearbook that can assist you with reunion planning. E-Yearbook.com will also publish the yearbook images online for people to share and enjoy.
Material on this website is protected by copyright laws of the United States and international treaties.
No protected images or material on this website may be copied or printed without express authorization.