Text from page 11:
Search for Classmates, Friends, and Family in one
of the Largest Collections of Online Yearbooks!
Your membership with E-Yearbook.com
provides these benefits:
- Instant Access to Millions of Yearbook Pictures Online
- Full Access to High-Resolution, Full-Color Images
- Search, Browse, Read, and Print Yearbook Pages
- Access College, High School, and Military Yearbooks
- Support the Schools in our Program by Subscribing
gg. -:E-':-G::3:5:g:3k:,-I'-5'-:::53:: CAN USARAGO 2:2:::5-E".-'2:g:5 ,gg
History of The Muncy High School
T IS fitting that, as a tribute to the old building which has served us so long
and which we are about to desert for a more modern structure, we should
give a review of its history.
The present high school building was built in 1873. At the time of its erec-
tion it was considered the finest structure in Lycoming County. The building was
so beautifully erected with the hope of enticing the Normal School to make its
location here. They succeeded in this, and for some time the High School with
the Normal School held classes together there.
Mr. C. S. Riddell was the first principal of the school. He carried it through
its first four years of service in the education of the young people of the district.
At the end of four years he resigned his work.
The first commencement was held on June 17, 1881. It is interest-
ing to compare this commencement with those of the present time. Four students
were graduated that year, the average grade of the class being 94. The program
of the first commencement states that Mazie Trumbower was the valedictorian,
and Meylert Brunner, the only boy of the graduating class, carried off the saluta-
tory honors. Sallie M. Robb and Alice Scuyler complete the roll of graduating
pupils. The Faculty of the school at that time was composed of Mr. Riddell, the
principal, with Mr. Charles Lose and Mr. Charles Heebner as his assistants. What
a difference there is in our present graduating classes of fifty students or over who
have been taught in the Senior High School alone by nine teachers instead of three.
Mr. Charles Lose took up che duties of principal in 1881. Up to this time
there had been no definite course of study. However, this condition did not exist
for a long time, for Mr. Lose immediately instituted a course of study which he
himself had outlined.
The school year of this period of time was divided into three terms. The
fall term began at the opening of school on October first and ended at the be-
ginning of the Christmas vacation, December fifteenth. The winter term was
begun on January first and continued until April first. At the close of the Easter
vacation on April fifteenth the students returned for the spring term which lasted
until June fifteenth, the end of the school year. The school year covered a period
of seven and a half months not including three vacations.
The duties of instructors and executive were vested in two teachers and a
principal. The principal of the high school held the same office in the normal
school. However, his position was not like that of the present day principal for he
acted in the capacity of a full time teacher and hence had little time left to devote
to supervision. All the subjects offered were taught by the faculty of three.
In the spring term, when sixty to seventy normal school students enrolled,