Text from page 11:
Search for Classmates, Friends, and Family in one
of the Largest Collections of Online Yearbooks!
Your membership with E-Yearbook.com
provides these benefits:
- Instant Access to Millions of Yearbook Pictures Online
- Full Access to High-Resolution, Full-Color Images
- Search, Browse, Read, and Print Yearbook Pages
- Access College, High School, and Military Yearbooks
- Support the Schools in our Program by Subscribing
Gbur Srhnnl lliatnrg
The educational history of lNIayville had its origin as far back as 1845. three
years after VVisconsin was placed upon the roll-call of the states.
In the winter of 1847 the first session of school was held. There was no school
house, but the home of one of the citizens was used for the purpose. The following
spring saw a small school house under construction at the present site of the Chas.
Ruedebusch Cofs store.
In the year 1848 Wisconsin assumed new responsibilities as a state. The Foster
brothers at that time donated to the city a tract of land, which is now known as
Foster Park, for the purpose of building a school house. Three new departments
were established, and with them came the studies of History and Geometry.
Due to the increase in population, a still larger school was demanded, and in
1857 a new addition was made to the old structure which gave it the present resem-
blance to a court house. The same bell which called the children of the early
settlers to school calls the pupils of to-day to their studies.
In 1880 the present High School was established with a three-year course. The
first principal was J. NI. Turner. His successors were as follows: Horace Gibson,
LI- H. hlartin, L. S. Keeley, lVI. A. Bussewitz, L. S. Keeley, and R. D. Owen,
our present High School principal and superintendent of schools.
The advancement of the lVIayvi1le schools has been one of great rapidityg the
following studies have been added to the course of study: lVIusic, Drawing, Domes-
tic Science, Teachers' Training Course, and last of all, a Commercial Course.
Graduates of this school can be found among the best people of the nation, and
only the best people shall our school continue to give to the country and to humanity.
Page F ifve”