Text from page 10:
Search for Classmates, Friends, and Family in one
of the Largest Collections of Online Yearbooks!
Your membership with E-Yearbook.com
provides these benefits:
- Instant Access to Millions of Yearbook Pictures Online
- Full Access to High-Resolution, Full-Color Images
- Search, Browse, Read, and Print Yearbook Pages
- Access College, High School, and Military Yearbooks
- Support the Schools in our Program by Subscribing
TH E KENT SCHOOL
i The School was small at first but grew rapidly.
Its location was changed in the spring of the first year
to the present site. The School almost doubled in size
the next year, filling the new quarters to capacity
again. The new building was also inconvenient and
cold in the winter, but the atmosphere of the School
remained cheerful and hearty. Religion then as now
was an integral part of the School life, and the boys
at first walked two miles every Sunday to attend the
Church in town. Toward the latter end of the second
year an old woodshed was remodeled to become the
first School Chapel.
Before the beginning of the fourth year the old Main Building was enlarged to
its present size. The new structure had room for seventy boys and for a sufiicient
number of classrooms. An old shed at the open end of the Quad was converted
into a precautionary Infirmary, although the School was Halarmingly healthyi' in
Doctor Barnum's words. The Farm, now boasting one of the finest dairies in
Vonnecticut, was begun this year, providing the School with potatoes, milk, and
fresh vegetables as well as another outlet for the successful Self-Help system.
A new building. the North Building, was being erected along the river bank
when a hundred and six boys came for the seventh year, but it was untenable as
yet. and many started the year in the Cottage, now Mr. Loomis's house, and some
few even overflowed into the Old Town House. The Faculty had by this time
increased from the original three, now numbering twelve men, including Mr.
1Villiam V. Hall, the first Kent Alumnus to become a master.
The School slackened off from its first rapid growth, but by 1917 there were a
hundred and thirty-seven boys at Kent, and the Field House was begun with
lockers for visiting teams, and rooms and dormitories above. In 1919 the present
Study Hall was built. lt was in the same style as the Main Building and North
Building, and was placed at one end and at right angles to this latter. It was
during this year that the School was first visualized in approximately its present
form, and a drive was started to raise 5li250,000.00, the most immediate objectives
being a new Dining Hall and a new and larger Infirmary. The drive was not
successful at once, but when the School began its fifteenth year 380,000.00 had
The first use of this fund was made two years later when the Farm was moved
to its present site in Macedonia Valley, near the School. A farmer's cottage was
built, and a ereamery and modern equipment for milk production were also sup-
plied. Where the Farm had stood a new brick Colonial Infirmary of more ade-
quate proportions was built. Father Sill began this same year his Twentieth
Anniversary Fund drive.
In the spring of IQQ4 work was begun 011 the new Dining IIall a11d it was
completed early in April the next year. Not only was the Dining Hall spacious