Framingham State University - Dial Yearbook (Framingham, MA)

 - Class of 1978

Page 16 of 256

 

Framingham State University - Dial Yearbook (Framingham, MA) online yearbook collection, 1978 Edition, Page 16
Page 16



Text from page 16:


Search for Classmates, Friends, and Family in one
of the Largest Collections of Online Yearbooks!



Your membership with E-Yearbook.com provides these benefits:
  • Instant Access to Millions of Yearbook Pictures Online
  • Full Access to High-Resolution, Full-Color Images
  • Search, Browse, Read, and Print Yearbook Pages
  • Access College, High School, and Military Yearbooks
  • Support the Schools in our Program by Subscribing

Fire More than 300 students of Larned Hall were evacuated early one February morn- ing when a fire reportedly caused by an electrical appliance, occured on the north side of the sixth floor. Norman Maclntosh, RA, discovered the blaze at 1:10 a.m. while investigating the blackout of his television. Macintosh saw smoke coming out from under the door of Room 630, where the fire started, and im- mediately alerted the two residents of the room who were asleep. The Framingham Fire Department re- sponded at once and extinguished the blaze within one half hour according to a Fire Department spokesman. College Administrators and Fire Depart- ment officials have not been able to esti- mate the exact amount of damage, but a precise figure was to be released. Students living on the north side of the sixth floor were unable to return to their rooms after the fire because of excessive smoke damage, and were housed in friend's rooms or empty rooms in Larned Hall. Ms. julie Clavin, director of Residence Life, stated that a number of fire safety regu- lations were violated. Food Poisoning On Friday November, 4, a number of Framingham State College students became ill on what was suspected to be food served in the Student Center Cafeteria. Approximately 200 students were taken to the infirmary and released. Twenty stu- dents were taken to the Framingham Union Hospital and released. According to a ques- tionairre sent out by Assistant Dean of Stu- dents, Wendy Noyes, 391 students reported they got ill. At the time it was not known what was the cause of the sickness. State and local health officials and an inspector from the Con- tagious Disease Division of the Massachu- setts Department of Public Health, were brought in to investigate. They immediately shut-down the cafeteria but upon complet- ing their inspection they found the cafeteria in order, with no sanitation violations. ,sv My , . gf. 'V ww" . . ,fl .s f On November 17, the Gatepost reported that the college physician, Doctor Robert Sumner believed the illness to have been caused by toxins from staphyloccus ingested with food. In a report released on February 2, 1978 from George Waterman, M.D., the Assistant Director, Division of Communi- cable and Veneral Diseases, for the Com- monwealth of Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Dr. Waterman stated: Be- cause staphylococcus, phase type 6f47f 54f75 was isolated from a burn on the hand of one of the foodhandlers, and because of the clinical findings, of those who were ill, he fully agreed with Dr. Sumner's find- ings. He went on to state that it is entirely possible to have only a relatively small of the food contaminated, and have no pathogenic organisms isolated from the food samples examined.

1985 Edition, online yearbooks, online annuals 1970 Edition, online yearbooks, online annuals 1972 Edition, online yearbooks, online annuals 1965 Edition, online yearbooks, online annuals 1983 Edition, online yearbooks, online annuals 1983 Edition, online yearbooks, online annuals