Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN)

 - Class of 1945

Page 1 of 104

 

Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collection, 1945 Edition, Cover
Cover



Page 6, 1945 Edition, Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collectionPage 7, 1945 Edition, Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collection
Pages 6 - 7

Page 10, 1945 Edition, Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collectionPage 11, 1945 Edition, Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collection
Pages 10 - 11

Page 14, 1945 Edition, Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collectionPage 15, 1945 Edition, Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collection
Pages 14 - 15

Page 8, 1945 Edition, Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collectionPage 9, 1945 Edition, Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collection
Pages 8 - 9
Page 12, 1945 Edition, Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collectionPage 13, 1945 Edition, Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collection
Pages 12 - 13
Page 16, 1945 Edition, Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collectionPage 17, 1945 Edition, Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collection
Pages 16 - 17

Text from Pages 1 - 104 of the 1945 volume:

Ml «3h£L On Manual! Proud has been thy pest! Thy present full of premise Thy future sure — " Fiftieth Anniversary Yearbook Published by the Class of 1945 Emmerich Manual Training High School Indianapolis, Indiana Charles E. E Administration revolution, began to campaign for a school where boys and girls would be educated to use their hands as well as their minds. These men worked untiringly until finally the bill was passed to provide Indian- apolis with a free industrial training school, the first of its kind in the country. And so, when women were wearing four or five petticoats and men, peg-top pants, Adolph Scherrer was supervising the building of the Industrial Train- ing School, which cost $150,000 and was built on a $40,000 triangular-shaped tract bounded by Meridian and Merrill streets and Madison avenue. By the time the structure was fitted with equipment, the total cost went up to $230,359.06. In June, 1920, the cornerstone was laid for the new addition, which provided the auditorium, boys ' " For fifty years Thou hast held the torch of learning high. Training of mind and hand and heart Has been thy goal. On Manual! " T hese words from a poem by Miss Lola I. Perk- ins have been Manual ' s chief objective since that Feb. 18, 1895, when the gang plank- to the " ship of knowledge " was let down by Prin- cipal Charles E. Emmerich. A clue to the significance of these objectives lies in the story behind Manual. Before High School No. 2 was built in 1884, the old Shortridge was the only high school in Indianapolis. High School No 2 was still a small school and had been in existence only a fe»v years when a strong group of mechani- cally-minded citizens, inspired by the industrial Mz ' Io H. Stuart gymnasium and the lunchroom. A few years later the bridge across Merrill street was constructed be- tween the two buddings. Delavan Smith Athletic Field was dedicated in October, 1928, in memory of Delavan Smith, former publisher of The News, who donated a large sum of money to the Indianapolis Foundation for the betterment of schools. Staunch, stern Charles E. Emmerich, who was principal of High School No. 2. was chosen by the school board to be the first skipper of the Manual craft. Through his strong belief in group activities he molded the character of the school and thus the remarkable Manual spirit came into being. Upholding the high traditions which Mr. Em- merich had established, Mr. Milo H. Stuart took over in 1910 when the " grand eld man of Manual " mmmmm H ' t. iiihiiu ■ i " imm— m — — —— " S ipper " E. H. Kemper McComb resigned. In 1916 Principal Stuart left to become head man at Technical High School, which was built to take care of Manual ' s overflow, and Mr. E. H. Kemper McComb stepped from the job of English department head to the helm of the Good Ship Manual. Known as " Skipper " McComb to thousands of alumni, teachers and pupils, he has been commander- in-chief for 29 years. The " Skipper " and his crew are now planning a new school, which the school board will build as soon as the war ends. Even though talk has been circulating for a long time about building a new Manual, purchase oi the 20-acre tract at Madison avenue and Pleasant Run boulevard seems a special fiftieth birthday gift. Today, Manualites, teachers and friends are all anticipating Manual ' s " dream of tomorrow. " Bertram Sanders V. S. Barnhart Vice Principals Faculty Faculty Meeting, Dec. " Those who lead and those who teach Shall, as of old, in thy service here The joy of high endeavor find, And count no labor vain Which Yields the rich reward of youth ' s firm purpose On worthy object bent. On Manual! " Classes come and classes go, but one group re- mains on Manual ' s decks to watch over each new load of precious cargo. Though their duty may he to teach certain courses, teachers are always willing to throw in an extra dollar ' s worth of good sound advice and help with extracurricular activities. At the close of the first day of school at the Indus- trial Training School, Principal Emmerich gathered the teachers together for the first faculty meeting . . . 2 1 teachers, excited and tense, sat in long skirts, bustles, wing-collared shirts and bow ties in a class- room. They heard the words, " We have a building, but we have no school yet. That is our task, " from Mr. Emmerich and knew that the first free industrial school in the country must succeed. And it did succeed! Today there are 11 complete departments of education listed at Emmerich Manual Training High School. In 1926 the school had its highest enrollment and the faculty reached its peak, soaring over a hundred. Since that first day the faculty has grown until now the 50-year-old roster includes 75 teachers Many taught only a few years; some served many years, and a few have given their entire teaching career to the service of this school. From the very beginning a friendly spirit has prevailed between teachers and pupils. Manual is well known for the fact that the faculty and student body work to- gether and play together. To this service and this spirit Manualites have paid tribute even after they have left school by establishing awards and forming clubs in honor of teachers. Awards are given in the departments in which they served — Miss Lola I. Perkins, poetry; Mr. Lon L. Perkins, band; Miss E. Kate WentZ-, mathematics; Miss Anna J. Griffith, poetry; Miss Beatrice Evans, English; Miss Mabel West, jewelry, and Miss Helene Sturm, language. Clubs which have been organized in memory of instructors are the Lo-Per-Man, formed from the first letters of Lola, Perkins and Manual, and the Violet Demree. Miss Beatrice Foy organized the Saturday Afternoon Literary Club, which sponsors four of the above awards. For 50 years the faculty, fluctuating in numbers but not in purpose, has contributed to the spirit of Manual, giving it strength, ability and courage to say, " We Can, We Must, We Will! " Mrs. Forest Baldwin, English Mrs. Ada M. Bing. English Mrs. Edith R. Binkley. Music " Mrs. Coral T. Black, History Mr. Harold G. Boese, Science Mrs. Florence S. Boots, Home Economics Miss Josephine E. Boyd. Home Economics ' - ' Mr. James H. Brayton, Science Mr. Oral Bridgford. Physical Education Mr. Clarence Bruness, Shop. Director of Athletics Miss Ada M. Coleman, Mathematics ' M r. Paul M. Collins, Science, Mathematics Miss Honora J. Curran, English. Language Miss Elizabeth L. Davis, Language Mr. Oran M. Davis. Art Miss Gladys A. Denney, Art Mrs. Hazel Dorman. Commercial Mrs. Lois Dougherty, Home Economics Miss Dorothy Ellis, Home Economics, Senior Sporisor Mr. Lewis Finch, Art Miss Garnett Foreman, Mathematics Department Head Miss Dorothy Forsyth, English Miss Elizabeth J. Foster, Art Miss F. Cleo Frazier, Commercial Mr. Louis J. Fuchs, Shop Miss Menka Guleff, English, Speech Mr. Carl Hanske, Science Mr. Roy Harmon, Head Custodian Miss Freda M. Hart, Music Miss Helen A. Haynes, Commercial Mr. Charles A. Henzie, Music Mr. Albert C. Hirsehman, Shop Mrs. Dorothy S. Huber, Physical Education Miss Rosana Hunter, History Miss Louise M. Iske, History Sgt. Harold Jones, ROTC Miss Margaret Kellenbach, English Miss Gretchen A. Kemp, English, Director of Publications Mrs. Dorothy S. Kenoyer, Home Economics Miss Martha Mae Kineaid, Language Mr. Otto W. Kuehrmann, Science Miss Gertrude Lieber, Commercial Mrs. Verna G. Magcc. Mathematics Mr. J. C. Mather, Shop Mr. Leslie B. Maxwell, Commercial Miss Elsie McLaughlin, Lunch Room Assistant Miss Katherine Mertz, School ' N.urse Miss Gertrude Mescall. English Mr. Ray S. Millikan. Science Mr. John H. Moffat, English Miss Jessie E. Moore, English Mrs. Ivy F. Olds, Home Economics Mr. Harry B. Painter, History Miss Theo B. Parr, Physical Education Mr. Marion A. Peeples, Shop Mr. Noble H. Poole, Shop, Director of T ight School Miss Elena L. Raglin, Physical Education Miss Marie E. Rapp, Commercial Mr. Alvin Romeiser. Physical Education Mrs. Helen Rosaa, Lunch Room Manager Mrs. Florence B. Schad, Librarian Miss Gretchen Scotten, English Mrs. Vivian W. Siener, English, Speech 4 H m t ' T ■ - ,9 ' . . ' • " ' ■ Mrs. Laila E. Sipe, Commercial Mrs. Mary J. Spiegel, Office Mr. William Stoeffler, Shop Miss Adelaide B. Thale. History Mr. Harry H. Thomas, Commercial Miss Eva M. Thornton, Mathematics Miss Rovene Ticen. Home Economics Miss Helen E. Tipton, English, Director of Girls ' Activities Miss Roberta Trent, Music Mr. Guy W. Trickey, Shop Mr. Raymond Van Arsdale, Mathematics Miss Nona Vanden Brook, Commercial Mr. Volney Ward, Mathematics Mr. A. L. Weigler, Shop Mr. A. Ross Williams, History Mr. Harold E. Winslow, Shop Office Staff (Left): Helen Riedu eg, assistant; Miss Helen Louise Mennel, hoo eeper; Mrs. Louise Bonney, registrar; J [orma Ritter and Bettx Jean Petersen, assistants; Miss Marjorie Grider, cler -stenographer, and Miss Violet Thrum, attendance cler . Social Service Department (Right): Mrs. Joanna Cushwa, Miss Margaret Foster. Mrs. Edith Hittle, Miss Wilmajean Austin, Miss Clarice Reimer and Miss Betty Wvsong. Then: First kj Duij in 1909 Now: Thcu camj on 1945 Seniors OUT of hundreds, oi priceless serapbooks and souvenir boxes spring memories of four happy years at Manual High School, and the great- est number of memories in any collection belongs to the senior year. There is something special about that senior year. By the time a Manualite becomes a senior, he is almost convinced that the world doesn ' t revolve around him, and he is certain that he doesn ' t know quite everything there is to know. Armbands, mottoes, banners, class days, ivy days, class plays, senior clubs and parties, class prophecies, wills — all spell senior with a capital " S " and loads of fun — to be cherished always. There has always been a senior class at Manual — even during the first year the students who came from High School No. 2 were graduated in June after attending classes in the new building only one semester. Little by little, senior activities were established; every class had a prophet and historian, but the Class of 1909 was the first to start the traditional Ivy Day. Since that time each class has planted an ivy vine and a stone marker bearing the class year until now the west wall is almost covered with ever-climbing ivy. This year ' s class was even luckier than most senior classes. Its members received the honor of being the golden anniversary graduating class. Members of the senior council hold important offices. They are the ones who maneuver all the special senior activities. Being senior class president is one of the highest senior honors and was bestowed on Raymond Raker when he accepted the gavel for the first semester this year. He stepped aside to give Dave Shaw top position for the second semester. Bill Schumann designed the 1945 armband and submitted the class motto, " Each rung of the ladder of success is only a resting place — not a stopping place. " Martha Price wrote the Ivy Day poem. Among all of the memories that linger, constant and true, there is one that is joyful and yet sad, commencement. Since 1922 seniors have marched down the aisle at Cadle Tabernacle, together for the last time, to sing " Tis June, the month of roses. ... " Though seniors will not be returning in September " to scenes they loved so well, " they will return again and again every February. As full-fledged alumni, this fiftieth anniversary class will catch up the torch and carry the Manual spirit on — on to the century mark! Tcncdd ii — Who ' d wunta (jet out ? Rose Marie Able Dcllie Adams Nellie Adams Shirley Adams Rosemary Alig lulia Ammer Patsy Armstrong Robert E. Arthur Kenneth Bade Eugene Bailey Robert Bailey Eva Lois Bayer Edith Beechum Hazel Lorene Beeler Mary Rose Benjamin Betty Berry Milton Bluestein Jeanette Bolden Patricia Boles Martha Bradshaw Delores Briggs WEfi-a (firl of fifteen mas considered too ijounq to tvce ' iQe men Visitors. Miriam Brill Barbara Brown Clifford Brown Joan Brown Harold Browning Betty Lou Bruhn Willa Mac Bruhn Richard Buck Solomon Bunes Jean Bunker Mary Lou Burns Alice Byers Lena Calderon Mi illy Calderon Esther Camhi Nelda Ann Carver William Carver Vera Chaine Verne Chandler Arnold Chaplik Marilyn Chapman HW-Q youno lady of eiqht mho har not had a date it dertined to be a social uia lfloiuer Marguerite Christoph ElfredaCoghill Irving Cohen Jack Cohen Morn ' s Cohen Juanita Cole Ruby Cooley James Cory Dorothy Coverstone Theodore Critchfield Phyllis Jean Cron Laflura Curlee Maxine Curtis Phyllis Dean Bettv Delks Betty Dickover Walter Dininger Fred Donenfeld Rosemary Downey George Drummond Anna Earl then- a qirl would botuwhen irrtrodu(M to o man tv shoio him she wished h further the acquaintance. Donald Eaton Betty Eckhart Betty Lou Edwards June Edwards Charles Ellis Barbara El yea Ollie England Donald Faust Richard Ferguson Edith Ferris Louise Fisher Charles Fitzgerald Carolyn Flinn Marilyn Flinn Vada Forney Peggy Friedman Ruth Fntsche Juanita Gibson Jo Ann Gillespie Geraldine Glass LeRoy Glidden how- wlQes need no introduction. Jhey jurt c iVe with a lany, toev Myra Jean Goddard Mary Graves Robert Gray Jack Green Joseph Green Marilyn Green William Gregory Martin Harrier Mary Hardcastle Mary Harding Charles Hard Virginia Harvey Marie Hays Marjorie Henderson Margie Hendricks Orville Henry John Higgins Joyce Hightshoe Mane Hill Joan Hinkley Bertha Hoop Graduation requirements incomplete. m -a uounq ac fy uxfutint donee with men with whom she war not acquainted. Eileen Hoogterp Ralph Hudson Jo Ann Huntsman Marvella Johnson Helena Jones Marie Joshlin Robert Juday Alan Judkins Alexander Kasey Mary Kattau Artillus Kernodle Horace Kernodle Constance Kin; Robert Kirkman Wilma Kissel Annette Klein Naomi Knight Ted Koch Lorna Kuebler Patricia Leeds Rowland Leverenz NQW " Time ' s up J hkeu-mu turn to jj )e with this wren " Wilma Lohkamp Norma Lohman Nita Sue Lowe Ann Lynch Keith Lynch Clyde Maar Dorothy Maple Richard Matthews Joseph Mennel Madeline Meo Roger Mercer Warden Milern Elisabeth Miller Margaret Miller Margaret L. Miller Donald Minor Felice Mirabile Betty Moran Howard Morgan James Morris Karl Muff young lady ojeigim. not be seen without a chaperone Wesley Murphy Mary Margaret Myers Norma Nahmias Rachel Nahmias Rayno Nahmias Eselene Nichols Mary Nichols Harold Nixon Edward Nordholt Delores Ostermeier Shirley Page Louis Pardo Naomi Parker Edward Parks Becky Passo Ermajean Peacock Carmella Peoni Rollan Perry Betty Jean Petersen Gladys Peterson John Petry now- off forti ' t eOenlnq of solid sending. Betty Jo Pickering Walter Piepenbrok William Picrceficld Donna Ping Elsie Popplew ell Doris Prather Jean Prentice Martha Price Virginia Price Joan Priest William Probst Margaret Purpura Harriett Puterbaugh Ruth Ann Puterbaugh Louise Qurazzo Raymond Raker Mary Ransdell Donald Ray Colleen Reed Hershel Richeson Helen Riedweg " Daisy, boisij, qiOeme youronswer true! Louis Rieman Daniel Riewer William Robertson Virginia Rodman Ruth Rogers Helen Rohlfing Kathleen Rothwell Loretta Roudebush Carolyn Sanders Betty Sarfaty Pauline Sauter Norma Schnepf William Schumann Robert Schwartz Jeanne Scott Charles Seedorf Margurette Selfe Salvatore Sgroi Molly Shapiro David Shaw Hazel Smith " Come, Josephine, in mq flifiru] machine " Maxinc Smith William Smock Harry Spaulding Peggy Lou Spencer Nell Spurlin Elinore Stahlhut Pauline Steeb Robert Steele Elsie Stefan Marvin Stein Wendall Stevens Margaret Stoneburner Rosemary Strawder Irvin Stringer Opal Studcbaker Jane Swaynie Mary Sweeney Donald Tabor LaVerne Tacke Jerome Tamler Joan Taylor THEk-qirls aierrfoiffiful folloujers, but cheered with subdued actions. lb k 2a Max Taylor Henry Teipen Everett Terrel Reta Thomas Barbara Tracy Leah Traugott Kenneth Trosper Jane Turley Eugene Viewegh Donald Wallace Juanita Walton Lola Walton Harry Weber Norma Welton Eugene Wene Marilyn White Thelma Williams Robert Willoughby Mildred Winzenread Mildred Wooten Donald Wright How-ffT ' we girls who lead with ' Hit ' em high, hit ' em loiv -come on, gang, let ' s go Mary Wright Jennie Wynalda Violet Yanakeff Stella Yosha George Mennel James Perkins Members of the Class of ' 45 whose pictures do not appear in the panels are ]o Anne Allen, Clarene Crawford, Donna Kernodle and Edna E. Kntifiji. it pP ' i «Wi!il» M mmfflm Birthday Party NEVER-TO-BE-FORGOTTEN memories were stored away by Manual alumni, pupils and teaehers when they all joined forces for the big Golden Jubilee paying tribute to Dame Manual on her fiftieth birthday Feb. 16 and 17 even though she was officially born on Feb. 18. In-school activities and alumni class reunions were held at Manual Friday, but the really big doin ' s were held at the Scottish Rite Cathedral Saturday afternoon and evening. Pupils started the ball rolling for the two-day party Friday morning. After re- ceiving souvenir book marks bearing Manual ' s towers and the special eight-page edition of The Booster, everyone adjourned to the auditorium to see the curtain rise on " Golden Years, " seven-scene pageant depicting Manual ' s history. Stopping only for lunch, Manualites resumed activities by attending the dance in the boys ' gymnasium or the party in the girls ' gymnasium. Hilarious birthday spirit prevailed and an im- promptu jitterbug contest was staged. Despite wilted collars and sore feet, Manual braves and squaws dragged themselves ' way out north to Butler Fieldhouse to climax the in-school celebration with a double-header basket- ball game, Manual vs. Howe and Washington vs. Shortridge. Before the tip-off, bands from the four schools joined together to play " Onward Manual, " and Chris Hankemeier ' 28, reviewed 50 years of basketball at Manual between encounters. The final score: Manual, 29; Howe, 26. While Manual ' s Redskins were battling Howe ' s Hornets, alumni, a thousand strong, got together at the school and the halls resounded with activity of old " grads " reminiscing as they held reunions and viewed alumni exhibits and departmental dis- plays. Thirteen classes were represented in the Fiftieth Anni- versary Art Salon, and many alumni had published articles displayed in the alumni authors ' exhibit. A birthday party just isn ' t real unless there are birthday gifts. Bouquets from other high schools, a $100 check from Tech, an alumni gift of $5,000 for the new building, a violin, a por- trait of Mr. Stuart by Elmer Taflinger, several fine paintings and a $100 gift from the parents of the late Dean Janert, who would have been a member of the ' 45 Class, are among the tangible gifts the school received, but Dame Manual received one gift which is priceless, the expression of love and best wishes of all her children. Behind the scenes of " Golden Tears " — Charles A. Henzie conducted the band in " Oar Golden Heritage, " a stirring march which he composed for Manual ' s fiftieth. Watching over each scene were Director Vivian L. Siener and her assistant. Miss Men a Guleff. Stagehands and the prop- erty crew were reidy. willing and able during the show, barrators Janice Mathews and Tvjorman Tirmenstein read Manual ' s story and ept the pageant rolling along. j0? ' Ji ■P . ■Vvo f , ' Hj 3k Ka 1907 1915 Tender roast tur ey dinners with all the trimmings were " dished out to 1,472 of Manual ' s vast family at the big banquet held in the Scottish Rite Cathedral. Quips flew li e snow flurries when President F. Elbert Glass, Toastmaster F. !NJ. Daniel, F. El- mer Raschig, Carl F. Brandt and Principal E. H. Kemper McComb " gave with the gab " behind the red and white flower-ban ed spea ers ' table. Henry Moesch led the old " Ric ety ex-co-ex-co-ex. " and Miss M. Elma Igleman sang. Orchids to the teachers 1 But it was Manual ' s own red roses for the two sweethearts of the alumni association, Mrs. Mary ]. Spiegel and Miss Anna ]. Schaefer. Mrs. Spiegel, who was gradu- ated with the Class of 1910 and became Principal McComb s Good Girl Friday, is registrar for the association. Miss Schaefer has a unique record of long and faithful service in the school from which she was graduated in 1896. A teacher in the home economics department since 190), she retired last year, but her Junior Red Cross and alumni association secretarial duties eep her in Manual ' s famil-.ar halls. Associated Koines alumni honored their guiding star when Ed Gardner, in their behalf, pre- sented the portrait of Miss Arda Knox as a special fiftieth anniversary gift, which throngs admired later in the lobby. Will Remy, ' 10, paid tribute to the part Manual ' s faculty has played in the school ' s history as a cameraman snapped a group of retired teachers who attended the anniversary banquet. Hanging a portrait of Otto Star , first art department head, in the Fiftieth Anniversary Art Salon are Elmer Taflmger and Thelma ' Williams, senior. On the right Marjorie Elliot, Shirley Adams, Doris Elofson and Thomas Steffen view a Wayman Adams gift painting of their grand- father. " I ' ll give a hundred, and I ' ll give a hundred. " and so Manual ' s $100 Club raised $5,000 by her birthday for that postwar " dream home. ' Smiling Clayton Mogg was chosen president of the association for 1945-46; George ]oslin, first vice president, and Charles Menges. second vice president. " School-days, schooldays, dear old golden rule days, Readin and ' ritin ' and rithmetic, Taught to the tune of the hic ' ry stic . . . . " Even in the good ole days when the little red school house was in its prime. Manual ' s curriculum was not limited to the three R ' s. All academic subjects were represented and shop, home economics, art and commercial courses were included. Today the curriculum has expanded to in ' elude 1 1 complete departments. Scenes from " Idylls of the King " pageant in 1909 English Many a " queen in calico " and her ever-so- " bashful barefoot beau " of 1895 learned readin ' and " ritin ' in one of Manual ' s Eng ' lish classes from either the Misses Beatrice Foy and Anna J. Griffith or the Messrs. Frank L. Jones and William L. McMillen. Although Manual was a training school, the con- tent of her English course was colored by the best thought of the day, the so-called college preparatory course. Today, Manual, always a democratic institu- tion for all people, emphasizes in her English course the needs of every day life in speech, letter writ- ing and reading of current publications. Successful accomplishment in this course provides a sound foun- dation in use of the mother tongue. In the days before speech won a listing on the curriculum, public speaking was taught by one of the English teachers who visited classes at regular intervals. With a growth of interest in the subject, speech classes were formed, the first in 1914, when Miss Lola I. Perkins taught expression. For many years, Miss Perkins directed and produced fine senior plays, inspiring all those with whom she worked. Present-day pupils, still studying Tennyson ' s Idylls of the King, marvel at the elaborate costumes of that pageant which was presented by the whole school about 1909. The English department pro- vided the actors: the shop, properties; home eco- nomics, costumes; and art, scenery. Chivalry lives on, at least in literature! A would-be reporter ' s dream is the journalism course which was introduced in English VIJ in 1932. A sequel, Composition VIIJ Class, was organized last semester. School scribes turn out the news re- leases for city and neighborhood papers as well as for the bi-weekly Booster, yearbook and magazine, which they also edit. During the last 50 years, four teachers have served as English department heads. They are Mr. Hamilton Mcore, 1903-1905; Mr. E. H. Kemper McComb, 1905-1916; Miss Elizabeth Hench, 19184925, and Mrs- Ada M. Bing. held A typewriting class in the early 1900 .s. Before the 1920 addition to the building, Manualites programs in the old auditorium, which was on the main floor about where the salesroom is now. Commercial PROOF reading handVitin 1 and business " rithmetic are modifications of the three R ' s applied to Manual ' s commercial department. As one of the pioneer departments, business edu ' cation began here in 1895 with two instructors, Mr. William J. Thisselle and Miss Anna Taylor, teach ' ing bookkeeping, penmanship and stenography. As the " belles " and " beaus " danced the polka, one-step and military schottische, business practice and busi ' ness training, known now as junior business and business arithmetic, were added to the curriculum. Later filing and machine calculation were intro- duced. At one time the machine method of writing shorthand, known as stenotyping, was taught and Miss Mary McEvoy, former commercial teacher, was one of the authors of the stenotype text used in that course. Manual ' s commercial department, al- ways abreast of the times, has continually provided training in the latest business practices. When the attendance laws required pupils to remain in school only until they were 14, high schools catered to the needs of early withdrawals, and the commercial department instituted a two- year terminal course in business studies. It was a broad course including English, history and geog- raphy along with subjects for commercial application. Those who remained in high school until gradua- tion followed the usual curriculum. Mr. K. V. Ammerman was head of the depart- ment until 1923, when Mr. Wilbur S. Barnhart assumed the duties of department head. Since 1917 advanced business students have had a chance to assemble all their skills in business education in office training classes, where they get practical experience taking dictation. They also do secretarial work for department heads. A complete commercial course at Manual is suffi- cient training for a pupil to take his first job in business, as employers of a host of graduate busi- ness education majors will testify. And if the tele- phone bringing pleas for secretarial aid rings any more frequently in the new Manual than it does now, the employment committee will need all the graduates there. Stained glass windows at the main entrance. Mathematics Time takes no toll on the established principles of Arehimedes and Newton . . . two plus two will always make four . . . but, as might be expected, teaching methods have changed in Manual ' s mathematics department, which has given many a boy a firm foundation for a career in engi- neering. The formal recitation of 1895 has given way to a laboratory procedure in which pupils work m groups on problems of practical mathematics as the inter- ested boys with a slide rule on the opposite page show. Besides applying trigonometry to Triangle ABC, pupils today are learning to figure gun em- placements and river crossings. " ■Trig 1 ' ' students now are using a book from West Point to supplement the regular text for mathematics in war strategy. Even the story problems have been modernised! In years long gone by mathematicians probably tried to figure the length of the shadow cast by the tree in Lillian Russell ' s famous song, " Under the Bamb oo Tree. " Old trick story problems typified by the familiar " How old is Anne? " have given way to problems based on perimeters and areas of geometric figures. Three Manual " Einsteins " have been in charge of the mathematics department. Miss E. Kate Went::, who became the first " head " in 1904, was a member of the original faculty with Messrs. Elmer B. Bryan and Henrie Ingersoll. They taught three courses — arithmetic, algebra, geometry. Miss Wentz was succeeded by Mr. Clarence Clayton from 1931 to 1938, when Miss Ada M. Coleman took over the reins of the department. Just what the story problem of the future may be remains to be seen. Mathematics pupils in the new Manual may find their triangles, parallelograms and logarithm tables on a movie screen, but those multi- plication tables will be the same and X will probably remain an unknown quantity to freshman algebra students. Head of deportment 1695 to 1931. even of Miss Arckj Knox ' s students arc novv on the -focurkj roster. Theij know their tiqures on the athletic field, too. , — Mr. ]. R. H. Moore as an early teacher a retired educator at home. soldier in 1918 and History Three famed war cries, " Remember the Maine! " " Remember the Lusitania! " " Remember Pearl Harbor! " have all played a part in the life of Dame Manual ' s history department. The old adage that history repeats itself is certainly true when history department records are examined. As the first war cry became famous in 1898, the Manual history department offered a new course in civics. In 1917 the United States stepped in " over there " to help end the first World War, and, to repeat history, two years later economics was intro- duced. Now the United States is fighting a war which everyone hopes really will be the " war to end all wars, " and again two new classes have been formed, sociology and Latin American history. The first history department faculty in 1895 con- sisted of only two teachers, and the largest list in 1926 boasted ten. During five decades there have been four de- partment heads. Mr. Francis Bacon came first in 1904 and he remained in charge until 1907. Mr. William Russell, who was head of the department for a year in 1908, was succeeded by Mr. J. R. H. Moore, who was head from 1909 until 1943 except for 1918, when Mr. Moore on leave of absence served Uncle Sam. Mr. A. Ross Williams, who be- came chairman in 1943, was made department head m 1944. A modern method of putting history across is the use of moving pictures. " Flash! D-Day is here! Allied Forces. . . . " Latest news events are dis- cussed in most history classes, and much first hand war news is read in current events weeklies which are supplied to all history pupils. When grandma went to school, it was the custom to memorize long lists of names and dates of battles. Military and political aspects of history were em- phasised, but now the social and economic phases are stressed. In the new school, students probably will learn history by aid of motion picture machines and cur- rent events by using the radio or even television, perhaps. f- i y. Language ' Quiz Kids " of the Twenties. Once upon a time — 1895 to be exact — Latin and German were the only foreign languages taught at the Industrial Training School, and Miss Helene Sturm and Mr. Paul H. Grummann were the instructors. But World War I aroused interest in European tongues and French and Spanish came into the cur- riculum. The four languages flourished and were taught with a reading aim in mind. The language department as well as the English department has provided outside reading lists, and many pupils have won recognition for the quantity of outside reading which they did. From the vocational angle, Latin is taught with special emphasis on terms used in various fields such as medicine, chemistry, law and teaching. Spanish, too, is taught in preparation for business careers. Units of global geography and cartography have been added to the reading of Caesar ' s commentaries. In addition to Cicero ' s orations and essays, third-year students today read orations from other Roman prose writers. What the " Mardi Gras " is to New Orleans, the " Saturnalia " is to the Manual language department. A time of merriment for all classes, the Saturnalia is celebrated every December, when language pupils and their guests don colorful paper hats and carry banners as the Romans did. For about twenty years, the language department has been sponsoring a Latin Quotation Contest. " Quiz kids " in Latin classes rack their brains every spring trying to remember just one more quotation to stay in the contest. The winner each year is given a ribbon, and the ten highest receive a picture of the group. The language department was organized in 1922 with Miss Elisabeth L. Davis as head. Blackboard drills are now replaced by the flash- meter, which demands a rapid application of knowl- edge. Opaque projection in the classroom and the use of film strips have enabled classes to include more enriching exercises in their daily lessons. Al- though the flashmeter and lantern are used only occasionally today, more extensive use of modern devices is anticipated for language courses at the new Manual. SVIIK OLLIO s PLINIL NDU fAB 1 Chemistry and physics laboratories at the turn of the century. Mr. Car] F. Hans e in front of the building with Mr. C. M. Sharp, first science department head. Science Heroes of science — Edison, Curie, Marconi. Manual may not he able to claim any out- standing heroes in the realm of science, but her science department can boast that it is responsible for the fact that many boys and, indeed, some girls can fix the cord to an electric iron and know every- day facts about science. As in most of the other departments in 1895 there were just two science teachers, Mr. Theodore W. Smith and Mr. R. A. Trees, who taught physics, chemistry, geology and botany. Science must have been pretty " tough " fifty years ago. Physics, open only to pupils who had completed two years of mathematics, was a prerequisite for chemistry. And, in addition, shop pupils with the necessary mathe- matics for a background were required to take physics. Two years of science were required for graduation and emphasis was placed primarily on college entrance requirements. Only one year of science is required for graduation now, and emphasis is placed on teaching science as a way of thinking rather than as a great mass of factual subject-matter. Science teachers today be- lieve that, while college entrance requirements must still be met, it is more important to teach " boys and girls " than to teach " chemistry and physics. " Botany, the study of plants, was dropped in 1922, and biology, the study of life, was introduced. In recent years more students have enrolled in biology than in any other science course. Physiography, physics, chemistry and physiology are still being taught. In 1943 a few students ' thoughts were " high in the clouds, " for they took the course in aeronautics, which was offered that year. " And then there are the girls, girls, girls . . " who were not so interested in the technicalities of physics and chemistry. So for them in 1921a practical course in general household science was introduced. Mr. C. M. Sharp, now principal of the Thomas Carr Howe High School, was the first science de- partment head. He served until 1926, when he became vice principal and Mr. Carl F. Hanske took over as head of the department. Just as science classes provide jokes for The Booster today, so did a physics class in 1921, as this excerpt shows: " The physics teacher asked, " What is a vacuum? 1 Carl Huffmann answered, Tve got it in my head, but I just can ' t say it. 1 ' Shop To combine " discipline of the mind and hand " was the way Principal Charles E. Emmerich set forth the purpose of the new high school, which was to coordinate manual training with academic studies. Historically, industrial arts in public education passed through the " manual training " stage of professional growth previous to 1895. Up to this time manual training schools were strictly vocational. At the time the Industrial Training School was founded, " manual arts " was the name applied to a second stage of growth. The influence of industry has brought about a third period of develop- ment with an expanding emphasis. Since " manual training " was introduced into the public schools, the social-economic character of American society has changed by inventions and mechanical and electrical improvements. Just as Manual always has offered cooking and sewing, she always has offered machine shop, pattern making, cabinet making, woodturning, me- chanical drawing, forging and foundry. It has, likewise, always been the policy of the shops for the boys to work on articles for the shop or home. First instructors to keep everything ship-shape in the Industrial Training School were Mr. James Yule, who retired in 1924, Mr. William H. Bass and Mr. Arthur J. Bean. After installing the equipment and organising the machine shops, Mr. Paul Covert served as teacher and later department head until seven years ago, when Mr. Guy W. Trickey took over the management. When the United States went to war, Manual ' s shop department made hundreds of model airplanes for Army use and filled Junior Red Cross orders for ping pong tables, smoking stands, lap boards, lamp stands and checker and cribbage boards for camps and hospitals. The shops, utilized for training defense workers, were open 24 hours a day. Even girls had a class in machine shop practice. Recently, sheet metal and welding have been introduced in a general metal shop course. As materials and techniques of production change, Manual ' s shop department will continue to forge ahead, training " hand and mind " in the shops of the new building. Three of the many articles (Mr. Paul Covert posed with the first project) which woodworking classes turned out when the department was still young, the frame of an old Studeha er car which boys wor ed on and a drafting room are pictured at the left. AVA N Ll " A stitch in time saves nine. Garments, bonnet designs and sewing machines of yesterday seem quaint today. Home Economics Training girls as well as boys to work with their hands was one of the main thoughts be- hind the establishment of the Industrial Train- ing School. At that time there were few schools in the country which taught fundamentals of home- making. In 1895 Miss Marv C. Comstock was the only teacher in the domestic arts division, and only cook- ing and sewing were taught. Today, home nursing, social practice, home management and personal regimen are included in a curriculum which em- braces all aspects of home living. The home economics department of two or three large rooms on the main floor has expanded to in- clude three clothing laboratories, three kitchens, a complete dining room, a home nursing room and a laboratory for personal development. Two women have charted and supervised the ship ' s galley train- ing. The first department head was Miss Frances Williams. From 1926 to 193 5, when Miss Josephine Boyd became head, the home economics department was without a supervisor. Today pupils learning to cook work in family- sized groups on family-sized recipes and with family- sized utensils. Much of the work centers in planning meals, and students plan, prepare and serve complete courses. Skirts have gone up and down, and sleeves have been puffed and tight fitting, but clothing procedure has stayed almost the same. As soon as girls learn fundamentals of construction, they make garments to fit their individual needs. Pupils are taught to make over old garments and to design hats. Maybe the boys have decided that the way to a woman ' s heart is through her stomach ' cause enough senior boys signed up for a boys ' foods class when it was first offered to make the project a success. Decked in aprons and white chef ' s hats, the boys learn all that the girls do. But it wasn ' t from their notebooks that these excerpts, from the 1904 Mirror, came. " Extracts from a cooking notebook: ' Before using, scold the pork and tomato. . . . Press the tomato through a calendar. . . . Mineral matter should be in food as it aids indigestion. ... Sit on stove and stir briskly. " Small gas burners in the picture below are a far crx from modern electric ranges. The boy in the center might have said, " Dinner is served. " but it is certain that he coo ed. An early first aid class demonstrates proper techniques for treatment. Art Manual ' s ivyclad walls have been painted and sketched time and again by her many artists m-the-making, and it is many of these same " amateurs " who later won prizes in the Hoosier Art Salon and made names for themselves in the art world. Industrial training courses were plentiful, but freehand drawing was the only art course offered in 1895, when Mr. Frank H. Noyes was the instructor. As time went by, courses such as costuming, design- ing, applied design and home decoration were intro- duced. Later came jewelry, map-making, photog- raphy, arts and crafts, commercial arts and art appreciation. Mr. Otto Stark, one of the most renowned Indi- ana artists and first art department head, believed in drawing, drawing and more drawing. He was largely responsible for the success of many Manual artists through his encouraging words and untiring efforts. Elmer Taflinger, who is well known for both his painting and his private art classes; Merntt Harrison and Tom Hibben, prominent in the architectural field; Clara Leonard Sorenson, sculptress; Walter Jack Duncan, illustrator: Harvey Emrich, of the Woodstock group of artists, and Marie Goth, who painted a portrait of Principal McComb, are a few of Manual ' s well-known alumni artists. Among others whose signatures have become famous throughout the country are Simon Baus, Paul Hadley, John Hardrick, Elmer Spenner, Will Scott, Helen Jacoby, Lonnie Edwards, George Jo Mess and Carl Zimmerman. After Mr. Stark ' s retirement in 1920, Miss Estelle Peel Lor was made department head. Miss Izor introduced decoration and costume designing to Manual and, in fact, to the high schools of the city. When she retired, Mr. Charles Yeager became de- partment head and served until last year, when Uncle Sam beckoned. Mirs Elizabeth Foster is acting m his absence. While students today sketch or paint the walls of Manuals present building, both pupils and teach- ers anticipate the day when they may be intrigued by the lights and shadows of a new structure on a spacious campus. Winged victory has lost her wings, hut today ' s pupils are still s etching the Madonna and Child cast in these early pictures. Manuahtes made music in the early days, too, as this 1898 orchestra, 1912 band and 1913 chorus show. The 1944-4? band forms an " M " at the athletic field. Music Unlike Harriet Beecher Stowe ' s Topsy, who wasn ' t born but " jest growed, " Manual ' s music department had a definite beginning — in the spring of 1896 when a 10-member orchestra, directed by Mr. Henry G. Cox, mechanical draw ing teacher, broke t he ice playing such pieces as Victor Herbert ' s " Serenade " and " Fortune Teller. " In September of the same year, Mr. Charles E. Emmerich, principal, wielded the baton over the group of youthful musicians who had advanced to Wagnerian operas. Early orchestras were made up entirely of boys. Although music was not introduced as an ac- credited subject until 1908, in the early days stu- dents and teachers were made music conscious when groups, sometimes directed by outsiders, organised and gave impromptu concerts. A chorus directed by a Miss Parr and a " glee club for young men " were started in 1898. The present Girls Glee Club had its beginning in 1900 when the group was directed by Miss Edna Clippinger, who was orchestra pianist. Another music organisation at that time was the Mandolin Club, directed by Mr. Charles Campbell, English teacher. Members of this club, playing mandolins and guitars, entertained at school pro- grams and auditoriums. In 1906 Mr. Edward B. Birge, director of public school music in the city, led the school orchestra and organised a school chorus of 300 voices. At this time the boys formed a group known as the Birge Club. The band, then an unofficial group, made its appearance under a student director. A member of the musical Montani family, Mr. Anthony Montani came to teach music in 1912. " Keeping it in the ramily, " Mr. Ralph G. Wins- low, music instructor, arrived in 191 and his brother, Mr. Harold E. Winslow, now on the shop department faculty, came to teach music in 1922. Mrs. Edith R. Bmkley, who came as a music teacher in 1938, became the first music department head in 1939. Having served as band director from 1929 until his death in 1938, Mr. Lon L. Perkins is honored through an award established in his memory by several graduates of the school who were band members. The Band Alumni, the Girls Glee Club Alumnae and the Mu Phi Epsilon awards are other honors given annually in the music department. Music, as it is planned for the new postwar Manual, will benefit not only Manualites but the South Side community as well. Outdoor concerts on a lovely campus will afford many hours of enjoyment for music-minded citizens. The department is hoping for facilities which will include sound-proofed rooms and recording equipment. In fact, if faculty plans are realized, " there ' s a great day comin 1 " for Man- ual ' s music department. A Go den Jubilee Minstrel Show which the Boys Glee Club put on featured many old-time favorites. The Girls Glee Club entertained during intermission. All three vocal groups joined together and gave the Christmas program this year. Girls in the Baton Club practice and learn new tu ' irls. Melodv maids and men in the Music Club chose Louise Fisher as their leader. These instrumentalists " make with the music " in daily class sessions. Mary Rose Benjamin is concert mistress for the Orchestra, which is directed by Miss Roberta Trent. Both the " A " and " B " Bands and the Dance Band are led by Mr. Charles A. Henzie. Bob Schwartz is band captain. 1 J fj 1 i 1 2 8 SL 8 ' ■• ' ■«— " " " Directed by Mrs. Edith R. Bin ley, the Chan sings for in-school and outside programs. Mary Sweeney is president; Vernon Brizendine, vice president; Eva Schmedel, secretary, and Bill Smoc , treasurer. The Girls Glee Cluh, in addition to presenting a musical show this year, gave outside perform- ances. Officers are Marilyn Chapman, president; Barbara Brown, vice president; Delores Oster- meier. attendance secretary, and Bertha Hoop, treasurer. M:ss Freda Hart is director. Presenting an old-time minstrel show was the mam activity of the Boys Glee Club, which is also directed by Mrs. Bin ley. Officers are Bill Donahue, president; Bill Smoc . vice president, and Richard Gira, secretary. Physical Education A gym! A gym! We want a gym! For seven long years these were the eries of the boys and girls who attended Manual. They baeked their clamor by giving plays and other entertainments. By the time the addition which included a gymnasium was made to the southeast corner of the building, they had a thousand dollars with which to equip it. In this new gymnasium Miss Amy Hill in 1904 became the first to teach exercises such as Indian club drills, fencing and the polka. Before long the girl who wore a middy blouse, a yard square tie around her neck, full woolen serge bloomers, long, black cotton stockings and high black shoes was considered chic. As activities became more vigorous, free- dom of motion was necessary, so girls today wear brief " ' gym " suits, white anklets and keds. About 1910 a girls ' walking club was organized. Mem ' hers set out early Saturday morning on a hike to a nearby town. After reaching their destination, they refreshed and entertained themselves with wiener or marshmallow roasts, and such delicacies as could be purchased in nearby stores. In 1911 a girls 1 athletic assocation was organized and its members played basketball, indoor baseball and volley- ball twice each week. That year and the next the asso- ciation held field days, featuring the 50-yard dash, relays, broad jump and basket ball throw for distance. The asso- ciation has been replaced by a modern after-school sports program. The girls now play tennis, archery, volleyball Miss Louise Schuhne er stands ready for action in J 903 in her " bloomer girl " outfit of the day. Manual ' s first bas etball team in 1900 posed for the cameraman, too. Co-eds of today can hardly wait to start a game of tennis or bas etball. and badminton, sports which are designed to create poise and self assurance. Basketball was played according to girls ' rules which called for a six-girl team and a three area court. After a hard half-hour ' s play, the girls often piled up the stagger- ing scores of 3 to 1, or even 5 to 3, and since the center was the only member of the team who could cover the floor, she was a tired girl. It wasn ' t until some years later that a two area court was allowed and the game became more exciting. The Booster of 1913 described the sport as being " real ruff now. " One girl had a broken finger and another a broken nose. An intraschool basket- ball tournament which lasted six weeks was held in 1921. Eight teams battled for the winning title. In 1912 credit was given only to first and second semester students in physical education. Later two more semesters were added and with the advent of war and the emphasis on physical fitness, requirements were increased in 1940 to six semesters, one-half credit being given for each semester. Health and safety classes were organized on an academic basis in 193 , and badminton, American country dancing and English folk dancing were introduced. Girls who now ride the bus and street car two miles to Garfield Park in order to participate in sports activities dream of a new sch ool plant which will include outdoor archery ranges, tennis courts and softball fields as well as indoor bowling alleys, golf ranges and a beautiful swim- ming pool . . . their " ' dreams are getting better all the time. " Snapped in action, girls now play badminton, voUey ball and shuffle board in brief " gym " suits. Special exercises help them to improve their postures. IP M The Senate Hana Bata es Clubs What this school needs is more student inde- pendence and group activity. " Hundreds of Manualites were quick to seise upon Principal Charles E. Emmerich ' s sugges- tion, and societies sprang up as quickly at Manual as mushrooms in warm rain and sunshine. Even in the early days, when they were called fraternities, these groups recognised and developed student talent. Such names as Oski Wos, Hana Batakes, Colonial Maids, Scotch Lassies, Tredecimites, Bashi Basouks, Sheykhs and Phi Delta Nu colored the early club rosters. An Arabian tribe with mysterious rites was the Sheykhs of Ajmans, organized in 1901. The officers of this boys ' group were Glenn Diddle, Eman; Frank Demerly, Imeer; Roy Howard, Grand Vuier, and Will Wheeler, Keeper of Piastres. Another boys ' group, the Sigmas, led by Roy C. Fox, still holds an annual dinner on Dec. 26. After the Indiana General Assembly ruled out high school fraternities, groups of students formed clubs such as the Cartooning, Ukelele, Immensee Dramatische (German Dramatic), Mandolin, Sketch- ing, Music, Art and Poetry clubs, which grew out of interest in special fields. One early club, Brakikiria Sogugia, caused a furor with its name. When the secret finally came out, it was found to be a stenography club. Three boys who defied starvation formed a union known as the Six-Cent Lunch Club. Their meetings were held every noon. If this club has no counterpart today, it might be because no one could long defy starvation on six cents. The Senate held its own debates and filibusters on topics of political importance. Now the Forum Club keeps its members informed of current happenings with discussion on such subjects as military con- scription and lowering the voting age. Taking pic- tures was a diversion in 19H, when Photography Club members met to study camera techniques. Heegimvrechs T Cadet Officers— ROTC V ' " ' Pa : 4 . Scotch Lassies of Glen Heather Saturday Afternoon Literary Violet Demree Today club members still are " snapping 1 ' each other and scenes around Manual for the yearbook. During World War I, Manual girls who belonged to the knitting group, Company A, knitted articles for men overseas. Miss Beatrice Foy, English teacher, sponsored the group. Members of the Saturday Afternoon Literary Club, all Manual graduates who organized in 1904, still meet monthly for study pro- grams and discussions. Miss Foy also sponsored this group. Officers of the charter group were Alice Ballard, president; Maud Gray, vice president; Josephine Gill, recording secretary; Hulda Hansen, corresponding secretary; Mabel Keller, treasurer, and Miss Foy, critic. A living memorial to Miss Lola Perkins, former English and speech teacher, the Lo-Per-Man Club, another alumni organisation, sponsors an annual poetry writing contest for Manual students. The club was started in 1931 with Miss Lois Deck (Mrs. Theodore Probst), Miss Elsa Goett and Miss Pearl Fisher (Mrs. Ford Freers) as charter members. Other active alumni groups are Roines, Free Lancers " Club, SATC (Saturday Afternoon Travel Club), Girls Glee Club, Violet Demree Club and Masoma, who continue club activities with meetings at school and at members ' ' homes. Sigma Sigma Delta, girls ' alumnae club, has met monthly for 30 years. Many a boy and girl in his Manual school days has found a lasting interest in a worthwhile hobby through his club memberships. Many a firm and lasting friendship developed in those same school days has been nourished in the associations of these alumni club groups. For 50 years Manual clubs have contributed to the welfare of the school, have helped her boys and girls to a fuller realization of good citizenship. Many of the present clubs ' accomplishments, such as the Crafts Club ' s Christmas candle, calculated to last for 50 years, will light the way in Manual ' s next half-century. Sigmas then in 1905 and now at Christmas in J 944, and the To ionians in 1905. Roines " All together, all the time, for a greater EMTHS. " With this .slogan before them, Roines hoys give luncheons, sponsor the freshman trac meet and sell tic ets to games just as they did in 1914. when the club was organized under the leadership of Miss Arda Knox. Since her retirement. Miss Knox has been assisted bv Miss Bertha Ebhert and Miss Ada M. Coleman, present co-sponsor. The Roines Alumni Association, whose six presidents are shown below, sponsors an annual s ating party and provides a scholarship. The m-school club also sponsors an annual s ate. the profits of which are used for trac equipment and the athletic fund. foe Mennel, who is president of the senior boys ' honorary, is assisted b v Vice President Eugene Viewegh, Secretar y Martin Hamer and Treasurer Rax Ra er. Herf erf Sc iwormvvr 1936 Mar on f ' Oorke 1917 A orman U ilson 1918 Arthur Madison Mb fdwarc 6ardner i914 Mauriet Thornton M S A4? ' WL. i mk Mas orna Living up to their slogan, " We Serve, " Masoma girls do everything from directing freshmen around the building on the first day of school to collecting all-day absence cards and passing out bulletins. Mrs. Ida Rehm and Miss Grace Emery organized the honorary club in 1914. Mrs. Ruth H. Shull, who succeeded Mrs. Rehm, is on leave of absence because of health and Miss Helen Tipton, co-sponsor, has ta en over direction of the group. Each Masoma adopts a freshman " little sister " to befriend during the xear. Bright spots on the Masoma calendar are the formal initiation parties each semester and the annual Christmas party. President Louise Fisher, elected to lead the service club this year, is aided by Vice President Marilyn Chapman and Secretary-treasurer Wilma Loh amp. Keeping up with in-school activities by presenting scholarship awards to the tivo highest fresh- man girls each vear, the Masoma Alumnae Club meets at least once annually. GLM " Girls ' League of Manual, We ' re proud of the name that we hear. . . . " Each year every girl in Manual sings the GLM song again as new girls are inducted into the organization at the candlelight installation of officers. Major activities of the Girls ' League, organized in J 927, are the GLM Showboat and May Day program. The first Queen of the May, Miss Garnett Foreman, in 1910 danced around the May pole with Lord of the May Will Doeppers. Bob Murray, emcee, crowned Almarie Hoffmann in the 1944 ceremony, and l elda Ann Carver, who reigned in 1 94 5, received her crown too late to appear on this page. Her attendants were Louise Fisher. Opal Studeba er, Helen Rohlfing and Jane Turley. Junior Red Cross The ]unior Red Cross Council, established at Manual in 1924, has shipped educational boxes to liberated countries, collected playing cards, made candies and coo ies for the USO and ta en part in all national war and peace-time drives. Miss Anna ]. Schaefer, who before she retired was sponsor of one of the ]unior Red Cross clubs, now assists Principal E. H. Kemper McComb, director of Junior Red Cross activities in the city. Mrs. Coral T. Blac , who organized the first club, sponsors the council. Violet Yana eff is president; Barbara Tracy, vice president; Mary Lou Burns, recording secretary; Betty Davis, attendance secretary, and Marilyn Chapman, treasurer. Publications ' " Wuxtry! Wuxtry! Read all about it! " Argus, Item. Mind and Hand. Senior, Mirror and finally. The Booster tell the story of publications at Manual. As early as 1897 the two-column Argus appeared with the Item, another small paper, as its rival. However, the Mind and Hand, which started shortly after the school was opened, was the first official student paper. In J 899. The Mirror, predecessor of The Booster, appeared. On March 19, 1912, The Booster was born. The eight member staff that published the first issue was headed bv Randolph Brown, editor. Principal E. H. Kemper McComb, then English head, and Mr. K. V. Ammerman were advisers. Marilyn Chapman and Elsie Stefan have been editors for the past year and Mary Lou Burns and l lelda Ann Carver, business managers. Misses Gretchen A. Kemp and Helen A. Haynes are editorial and business advisers. Winners of the Quill and Scroll International Honor and " A " Awards and recipients of a Rational Scholastic Press Association First Class Honor Rating. Booster scribes are now striving toward the high school journalist ' s Mecca, an all-American rating. Mas and ' Wig Since Mr. E. Edward Green, now serving in the United States Army, directed the first Mas and Wig production in 1936, the club has provided a means of expression for students interested many phase of dramatic activity— acting, directing, make-up, costume, stage wor and prompting The club also furthers understanding and appreciation of the legitimate stage, and Mas and Wig alumni are frequently seen in a theater party at English ' s. " Mv Cousin from Sweden, " " Ghost of the Show, " " Paul Faces the Tire Shortage " and " Ash Hancy " were Mas and Wig productions this year. ' fane Turley, president; Wesley Walton, vice president; Gercldine Cacho, secretary; Geraldme Powell, treasurer; James Short, pledge chairman, and Miss Men a Guleff, sponsor, head the club. Student Council — These representative students su- pervise selection of yell leaders, help plan pep ses- sions, discuss school prob ' lems and take suggested solutions back to their roll rooms. DAVE SHAW President RAY RAKER Vice President LOLA WALTON Secretary TOM BEITH President FLORA ANN GREESON Vice President MARY K. TAYLOR Secretary MISS GRETCHEN A. KEMP MISS DOROTHY ELLIS Co-sponsors Senior Red — To help them- selves and one another by friendly criticism and dis- cussion is the purpose of the Senior Club. They dis- cuss such subjects as date etiquette, gifts for service men, how much make-up a girl should wear and the merits and disadvantages of " steadies. " BOB JUDAY President EUGENE VIEWEGH ice President LOUISE FISHER Recording Secretary JO ANN HUNTSMAN Attendance Secretary WILMA LOHKAMP Treasurer MISS DOROTHY ELLIS MISS ELENA RAGLIN Co-sponsors Senior White — From the simple fox trot to the complicated steps of the " Savoy " and the rhythmic swing of the rhumba, Senior Club members danced their way through the year un- der the instruction of Miss Elena Raglin. DON RAY President ED NORDHOLT Vice President MARILYN CHAPMAN Recording Secretary JOAN TAYLOR Attendance Secretary JOE MENNEL Treasurer MISS DOROTHY ELLIS MISS ELENA RAGLIN Co-sponsors Commissioned Officers — Breaking the silence of the school day, these Reserve Officers Training Corps boys can be heard shouting out their " hup-two-three- four. " To plan the terrors for the non-coms these sol- diers -in -the -making hold their conferences on Friday mornings before school. ROBERT WILLOUGHBY President JOE MENNEL Vice President ROBERT GRAY Secretary ROBERT SCHWARTZ Treasurer SGT. HAROLD JONES Sponsor Non-Commissioned Offi- cers — To be a commis- sioned officer is the am- bition of these boys who industriously polish their hutting and -hoes to make a good appearance when those federal officers come ' round each spring for in- spection. The non-commis- sioned officers who lose the " non " ' when they ' re seniors may become members of the Commissioned Officers Club. Block M — The Block M seen on the red and white sweat- ers of these boys signifies that they are members of the Block M Club. Earned for participation in sports, the Block M ' s take the eyes of Tepee Town squaws, and win no little favor from the envious gals who hope to wear one " on a loan. " MR. HARRY THOMAS Sponsor Girl Reserves — Swimming, attending lectures and even taking part in a festival constituted the activities of the Girl Reserves at the YWCA, with which the club coordinates. New mem- bers were welcomed by a candlelight recognition cere- mony at the YWCA and an informal initiation in school. BETTY MORAN President SHIRLEY ADAMS Secretary MARGURETTE SELFE Treasurer BETTY GRAVES MARILYN CHAPMAN Inter-Club Council Representatives MISS DOROTHY FORSYTH Sponsor Hl-Y — A county Hi-Y con- ference, informal gatherings at the YMCA, with which the club is affiliated, and guest speakers at their in- school meetings make up a pleasant schedule for these boys. The " Y " facilities are at their disposal for prac- ticing their basketball and swimming. DON RAY President WALLACE LEVERENZ Vice President JACK GREEN " Recording Secretary JOE MENNEL Attendance Secretary WALTER DININGER Treasurer MR. A. ROSS WILLIAMS Sponsor MR. MERLE CARVER " Y 11 Sponsor Movie — These screen fans meet to discuss movies, give reviews, decide on the best in entertainment and have movie quizzes. Their dis- cussions on movies help them to form a standard by which to judge films. MARY HARDING President LIBBY NELSON Vice President and Attendance Secretary LAURELLA DUNCAN Recording Secretary BETTY MILLER Treasurer MRS. ADA M. BING Sponsor Latin — Old Roman costumes, games and the colorful chariot race come back to life during the annual Sat- urnalia, which is a great highlight of the Latin Club. Members, accompanied by a little organ, sing Latin words to familiar tunes, dis- cuss Latin literature and have after-school parties as special treats. NELDA CARVER President ALBERT CHERNIN Vice President GERALDINE GASHO Recording Secretary RICHARD McMAHAN Attendance Secretary LaDONNA BEDEL Treasurer MISS ELIZABETH DAVIS Sponsor Spanish — The " senoritas " and " senoritos " of this club get together for an all around good time with a Latin- American flavor. They carry out the annual Spanish custom of filling a jar with sweets and beating on it till it breaks and falls into the waiting hands of the club members. BOB SMITH President BILL ROBERTSON Vice President MARIE HAYS Recording Secretary VIVIAN GUTZWILLER Attendance Secretary ANNA EARL Treasurer MISS MARTHA KINCAID Sponsor Business Girls — Contribut- ing to the Red Cross and the Infantile Paralysis Fund, and hearing outside speak- ers on the subjects of busi- ness, ethics, personality and business positions make a full schedule for the Busi- ness Girls Club members. WILMA LOHKAMP President VERA CHAINE Vice President NORMA SCHNEPF Recording Secretary MARY BAILEY Attendance Secretary MARIE HILL Treasurer MISS CLEO FRAZIER Sponsor Leaders — To be good physi- cal education squad leaders, to refresh themselves on leaders ' aims and to do apparatus work are the aims of the Leaders Club members. To avoid confu- sion, Mr. Alvin Romeiser, sponsor, is also president, vice president, secretary and treasurer! Home Economics -- Teas, parties and speeches are the activities of the Home Eco- nomics Club. The girls are well-informed after the talks by outside speakers on clothes and personality, in- terior decorating, character- istics looked for in an ap- plicant and care and repair of electrical equipment. BARBARA KIDWELL President MARY BAILEY Vice President ROSEMARY ENGLERT Recording Secretary MILDRED SMITH Attendance Secretary WILMA DERRETT Treasurer MRS. LOIS DOUGHERTY MRS. DOROTHY KENOYER Co-sponsors Camera — Shooting is their business! Camera Club members not only learn to take pictures, but also learn to develop and enlarge prints with homemade chemicals. Many of the snapshots displayed on the third floor were taken by these student photogra- phers. JAMES LINK President JAMES O ' NAN Vice President PHYLLIS STUCK Secretary DAVID O ' NEIL Treasurer MR. JAMES BRAYTON Sponsor Odd Number — Terrifying initiations, members self- consciously reading their stories before the club and Mr. Moffat criticizing — these are typical scenes from the Odd Number Club, where short stories are studied and written. New members, called " worms, " gradually become " butterflies. " The officers, who serve in both sections, are: IRVIN STRINGER President HILDEGARD BICKEL Vice President LOVADA CURTIS Recording S ecretary NORMA RITTER Attendance Secretary THOMAS EADS Treasurer MR. JOHN MOFFAT Sponsor MSPS Poetry — Is there a Shelley or an Edna St. Vin- cent Millay in the school? If there is, he or she will most likely be found in this club where poets-in-the- making study the lives and works of the famous and create original verse. Both sections of the club have the same officers. ELNORA NOE President LOIS MEIER Vice President EDELL GOSMAN Recording Secretary ROSALYNN HENRICKS Attendance Secretary MARIAN KERNODLE Treasurer MISS JESSIE MOORE Sponsor Mathematics — No doubt, with deep concentration, these mathematicians could even figure out the Einstein Theory of Relativity. Most of their club periods are spent playing mathematical games. Leaders who offi- ciate are: BILL SCHUMANN President HELEN STOYKOVICH Vice President {CATHERINE POPCHEFF Secretary EUGENE WENE Treasurer MISS EVA THORNTON Sponsor J J i Stamp — To improve their col ' lections and their method of collecting, to develop an understanding of the his- torical and financial value of stamps and to develop an appreciation of good stamps are the aims of the Stamp Club. FRED SEARS President ALFRED WEAVER Vice President DOROTHY MORGAN Recording Secretary ROBERT BERNHARDT Attendance Secretary HUGH WHEATLEY Treasurer MRS. LAILA SIPE Sponsor Forum — That the youth of 18 should be permitted to vote was decided by a 1 5 to 8 vote in the Forum Club. Many heated dis- cussions on other timely questions were held and voted on. STEPHEN BAKER President PATRICIA MOEHLMAN Vice President WESLEY WALTON Recording Secretary CHARLES KLEIS Attendance Secretary MISS ROSANA HUNTER Sponsor Arts and Crafts — It seems that the Voice also has his fans among the Art Club- bers! All this year club members have been busy making puppets to represent the story of Cinderella. One club member wrote the story of a modern Cin- derella who goes to see Frank Sinatra. JOYCE PEDERSEN President MR. ORAN DAVIS Sponsor Crafts Clubbers collected candles at Christmas time and made for the school a huge candle which was placed in the lunchroom. Their activities included dyeing Easter eggs, making St. Patrick ' s Day cards and making ceramic lapel pins. ALICE WRIGHT President MISS BETTY FOSTER Library Assistants — " Serv- ice with a smile " is the motto of these girls who are always on the alert to help some book-worm-by- necessity who may wander into Manual ' s library. They are never too busy to check a book, look up some infor- mation or otherwise lend a helping hand. MRS. FLORENCE SCHAD Librarian War Service Nurses — These prospective Clara Bartons and Florence Nightingales are starting a file of Manual graduates who have become nurses. Besides devoting time to this worthy cause, the girls had a St. Patrick ' s Day party and had Miss Rita Glass, a student nurse from St. Vincent ' s Hospital, as guest speaker. OPAL STUDEBAKER President MARTHA PRICE Vice President ERMAJEAN PEACOCK Recording Secretary PAULINE SAUTER Attendance Secretary VIRGINIA RODMAN Treasurer MISS KATHERINE MERTZ Sponsor Warp and Woof — It ' s an established fact that old- fashioned ideas are coming back into their own in mod- ern clothing styles. Weav- ing on hand looms has come back, too, ' cause that ' s just how the Warp and Woof- ers weave purses, scarfs and similar articles. Their spon- sor sets up the looms on which they work. CAROLYN MARSHALL President JOAN HORTON Vice President and Attendance Secretary DIANNE REIFEIS Recording Secretary JEANETTE SANDERS Treasurer MISS GARNETT FOREMAN Sponsor STAriECRAFTERS — The mem- bers of this club learn the tkeory of the care of the stage and how to prepare it for auditoriums. BOB JUDAY President JOHN COLE Vice President CHARLES MESCALL Secretary DICK ENDS Treasurer JAMES PERKINS Stage Manager MR. LEWIS FINCH Sponsor Stagehands — These boys not only practice what they preach, but also what is preached to them. They keep the stage prepared for any auditorium production by cleaning the stage and having scenery, curtains, lights and microphone ready for use. JAMES PERKINS Manager BOB JUDAY Assis tant Manager JOHN PETRY Electrician JOHN COLE DICK ENDS HAROLD BARLOW CHARLES MESCALL Hands MR. LEWIS FINCH Sponsor Phy-Chem and Natural- ists — Demonstrations and lectures concerning chemis- try and physics are the pro- grams planned for these students of the Phy-Chem Club. A demonstration of the Westphal balance and a lecture on the future miracles of science prove interesting to the club members. MARTIN HAMER President MR. CARL F. HANSKE Sponsor Another club composed of would-be scientists of the school is the Naturalists Club. These nature-lovers study plants, animals, show microscopic slides and go on outdoor excursions REBA WHITE President MR. HAROLD BOESE Sponsor » «IW„ This fiftieth anniversary year at Manual really has been a busy one. But, as usual, Manualites from the first green freshie to the last dignified senior — have found time for a hundred and one other things, too. Some have entered contests and done things besides, jitterbugging and walking the halls; they merit a spot on their class snapshot page to show this life at Manual. Senior Class Play Falling in line with the now-andthen theme of the fiftieth anniversary yearboo , Philip Barry ' s " The Youngest " was the senior class play for the second time in a decade. But Miss Men a Guleff, who played the part of " Muff " Winslow in the 1938 play, appeared in the 1945 version as director. The above scene from the J 938 presentation is " polished up " with scenery and costumes, but this year ' s pictures are a snea preview and were snapped during the confusion of rehearsals. Irvin Stringer appeared in the t.tle role of Richard Winslow, youngest of a family of six. Cast opposite him was Violet Yana eff, who played Jiancy Bla e, visiting debutante who helps Richard gam the respect of his domineering family. In the first performance of the comedy seven years ago 7 [orman Burger and Frances Kritsch had the leads. Oliver Winslow, insolent oldest brother, was played b v fames Short; Bill Robertson was Mar Winslow; and Mary Hardcastle. Mother Winslow. Helen Rohlfing appeared as the spiteful married daughter, Augusta Winslow Martin, and Bill Smoc . as her docile husband. Alan. jane Turley was cast as Martha " Muff " Winslow, the other daughter, and Betty Petersen was the maid Katie. Opal Studeba er was .student director, while Barbara Tracy served as prompter. Music Macsiros lop K Qrs Back in Port • . " -J?.. ' A. -- nol zs from IfiQ chorao ft i s -•- Ha • " " SHi ; ' " cant happer? ?(? - 77p toppers £ Some S i dp, s m 7 p aj , all eat X ' ■ $ : Han teen king ' Salute fv fye % 1913 P " . ' f rosh chiefs A of so ?fze t musically Collector exttuordinary 4 w 1 (s wjfraft bfto 5 w3ft(g V Football Blac smiths on the first real team in 1896 were coached by Mr. ]im Tide. " Manual ' s colors arc waving today. Manual ' s colors point out the way. . . . " YES, sir, and that ' s the way it ' s been for Man- ual ' s grid squads over a span of 50 years. From 1895 when the locals combined with Indianapolis High School (now Shortridge) to sup- port one team, which mauled an unknown opponent, 46-0, through 1944, when the Red and White went through a seven-game schedule with only one defeat, Manual ' s Redskins have established themselves in Hoosier pigskin circles not only for their grid prowess, but also for their sportsmanship. After their 189 football debut, Manual ' s Black- smiths, as they were known in the early days, found themselves bucking up against such foes as Purdue, Indiana, Butler and DePauw universities, where the sport was also in its infancy. The boys in red came out on top in some of these encounters, too. Though they lost three of seven contests, ITS boys captured in 1898 that first state pigski n unoffi- cial championship, which they retained, along with capturing the Kentucky crown the following year when the locals went through their initial undefeated season under the helm of Coach E. G. Noyes. In the early days of the century, the Industrial Training School continued to establish itself as the strongest football power in the state against the most rugged competition in the Middle West. From the beginning of the Manual-Shortridge rivalry in 1896, the Red and White ' s encounters with the North Side eleven always led to boisterous celebrations around the Monument Circle. Finally in 1907, after issuing several warnings, the Indian- apolis school board stepped in, and high school foot- ball in Indianapolis stepped out until 1920. That year a pleasant rivalry was born with Tech, the new East Side school, with whom Manual celebrated her twenty-fifth anniversary game this year. The Indian ball toters came back into their old form when they tied for the city crown in 1921, f A This team gained control of the city crovjn in I 92 3. Coached by Harry Painter, these gndders won the city championship for Manual for the last time in J 931. and the following year they came into undisputed control of the diadem. In 192 3 the Redskin jugger- naut went into high gear with a 109-0 victory over Anderson for an all-time scoring record! Bounding into 1931 with better than a .500 aver- age for the roarin ' twenties, the " Skins once more brought back the vaunted city crown into the South Side trophy case. Forty-nine years of football at Manual! Then came one of the greatest grid seasons in South Side history . . . Coach Clarence Bruness ' golden anni- versary season, which can be described briefly as " good. " As the 1895 Blacksmiths won their first grid tilt in the history of EMTHS by a 46-0 margin, so did the 1944 Redskins celebrate the anniversary of the pigskin classic, thrashing Columbus by the same score in their opener. In their next encounter, the Indians held Washington ' s eventual city champions to a 6-6 deadlock. The prize victories came in the next two weeks when Manual ' s high-riding Redskins blitz- kneged Southport, 33-0, and Tech ' s high ranking Big Green, 26-7, for their first victories over these two teams since 1931. Then came Broad Ripple ' s Rockets for Manual ' s first downfall, 20-6. Resuming the pre-Ripple stride, Manual massacred Seymour by a 47-0 count. To tag finis to a near-perfect anniversary season, the Red- skins downed the undefeated Fighting Irish of Cathedral, rated number six among the state teams, 14-0. For five decades Manual ' s gridmen have tackled their way to victory, gaining for their alma mater an outstanding reputation in football. And those " alums " who returned to Delavan Smith Athletic Field for the twenty-fifth game with Tech saw the fiftieth anniversary team carrying the Manual spirit on. From the first kick-off to the last whistle, those games on the football field were a salute to the Manualites who are playing a much greater game on the grim battle fields all over the world. Four gals and a fella led Reds in cheers at fiftieth anniversary games on the gridiron. V . V 3 toftfedftg ■ Y . M COLUMBUS 46-0 WASH A GTO 6-6 SOUWPOfiT 32-0 UC MAL 26-7 3 0AD A PPlf 6-20 SfVMO W 47-0 CATHEDML 4-0 ttfitt ummm First teams in 1 90 1 and J 902 began Manual ' s reputation in " Hoosier hoopla ' circles and the 1922 team carried on, winning the sectional trophy. Basketball Although the last whittle of Manual ' s golden anniversary hardwood season was blown more than three months ago, eehoes of past sea- sons have not died away. " Hoosier hoopla " discussions are not exclusive to the boys, for it was representatives from the feminine ranks who started basketball at Manual in 1900. Without a gymnasium, Manual ' s hardwooders were forced to practice at the YMCA, which took the initiative in organising Indianapolis high school basketball. After putting out her first quintet in 1901, Manual steadily hastened her stride against such opposition as Butler, Wabash, Indiana State Normal, Earlham, Crawfordsville Business College and the YMCA, and in 1906 she climaxed this parade of victories with a claim to the mythical state championship by defeating Crawfordsville. Because of the intense rivalry between Shortridge and Manual on the gridiron, basketball togs were forced into moth balls from 1907 until 1915 when the Redskins came back with a bang to reach the finals of the state tournament by winning the sec tionals and regionals. They again won the sectionals in 1918-19, along with the Middle Western crown via the Central States tournament. With Coach Rowland Jones, now Washington mentor, at the helm, the Red and White picked up two straight sectional diadems in 1921-22 and 1922-23 and the regional championship in 1921-22. Manual ' s first city championship found its way into the trophy case in 192 5-26. Led by Coach Oral Bndgford, who took over the reins in 1927, Manual ' s netters again won the local crown in 1935-36; 1938- 39, and 1939-40. And now for this year ' s season. No championships were won, but the Red and White still has an enviable record of nine victories in sixteen starts. Among those taken into camp by " Shaw and Co., " were Broad Ripple ' s semi-final champions, who lost their only regularly scheduled game to the Tribesters, and Howe ' s Hornets, whose 29-26 bow on the eve of the golden anniversary celebration was the best birthday present Redskin rooters could possibly have received. When they fell, 30-28, the Tribe barely missed defeating Tech ' j Big Green, rated throughout the campaign as th number five team in the state. J939-40 City Champs, " Manual ' s best net squad, ' ' according to Coach Bridgford. Track IT " ' K 4 They ' re off! As the yearbook went to press, Coach Raymond Van Arsdale launched the 1945 track season with some outstanding individual per ' formers on hand to keep Manual ' s colors flying high in Indiana high school track circles. It seems th.it Manual ' s track teams have acquired a reputation as " the team to beat, " for in 50 years the Training School has put out cinder squads that won ten state championships, runner-up honors five times and third place on four other occasions. The local thinlies have not slowed down in the period that Coach Van Arsdale has been at the reins. Since " Van " ' came to Manual in 1938, his squads have totaled more points in state track meets than any other city high school, 63 at the end of the 1 944 season. Along w:th some outstanding cinder aggregations, Manual has had her share of individual stars, as a glance at her all-time records will show: Tad Shideler, : 16.2 in the 120-yard high hurdles in 1903. Sherlie Deming, :2 1.8 in the 220-yard dash in 1905. Walter Floyd, 47 ' 3J4 " m the shot put in 1923. Leon Hutton, :24.8 in the 220-yard low hurdles, and 5 ' 9 " in the high jump in 1925. Hutton, Burnett, Grimes and Rubush, of 1925, and Fair, Robinson. L. Calderon and M. Nahmias, of 1939, 1 :35.8 in the half-mile relay. Al Rubush, : 10.1 in the 100-yard dash, 21 ' 6V% " m the broad jump in 1927, and 11 ' 11% " in the pole vault in 1926. Morris Nahmias, :50.9 in the quarter-mile in 1939. Jack Hoyt, 2:1.2 in the half-mile in 1940. Mike Mascan, 4:27.8 in the mile in 1940. Scholl, H. Nahmias, Pardo and Shaw, 3:32 m the mile relay in 1944. Although Captain Frank Garten does not hold an all-time record, he is ranked as one of the most out- standing thinlies in the school ' s history. Garten, who tied the state record in the low hurdles in 1918, was responsible for Manual ' s winning the state crown in 1917 by capturing three first place ribbons. He also led the South Side cindermen to the first annual Indianapolis district track and field meet with 20 of Manual ' s 28 points. " » 9 - m ' ] ■mm- 3-3 • V r Wi . ' % V t st y u - tt fc.H I wa i L n n x ! -. ■ ,» ■ j. V f - , - " F " -» - " M ||,» %t- 4 » « ' Jj rr?-i Uf, Te m.- 925- city CAa rips Baseball BATTER UP! As the lead-off man of Coach Alvin Ro- meiser ' s 194 diamond aggregation stepped to the plate, baseball celebrated its fiftieth anniver- sary at Manual. In 1895, as today, baseball reigned as the supreme sport of the land. Yet when it made its debut at Industrial Training School a few months after the first class entered the new school, baseball did not occupy a major spot in the athletic activities through- out the state. Operating as a minor sport, it was largely intramural at the turn of the century. Coached by interested teachers, Manual ' s swatters continued intramural ball for a few more years be- fore organising a series with Shortridge. Before Manual had Delavan Smith Athletic Field, the Redskins played on sand lots and such crude diamonds as Garfield Park and Willard Park. If the game was of major importance, arrangements were made to play at the ball park of the Indianapolis baseball team. In spite of these obstacles, an early Mirror reports that 60 candidates came out for in- door practice in the gymnasium as early as February. As in track, basketball and football, Manual ' s nines struggled against, and sometimes defeated, college teams which were legitimate competition only because games with them did not involve too much travel and expense. Manual won the state series play in 1912 at the Purdue Invitational Tournament. Several weeks before the tourney the cream of Manual ' s ball play- ers was skimmed off the ranks of the intramural teams. Working together as a unit for about two weeks, Manual went up to Purdue to go straight through to the championship against such teams as Lebanon, Wolcott, Princeton, Huntington and South Bend. Mr. Guy W. Tnckey, who came as a shop teacher in 1919, was chosen by Principal E. H. Kemper Mc- Comb to guide the Redskins in 1920. In 1922, with Coach Trickey at the helm for the last time, baseball reached its peak when 350 boys answered the dia- mond call. Basketball Coach Rowland Jones, just out of Butler, took over the team ' s reins in 1923 and re- linquished them in 1924 to Mr. A. M. Skinner, former professional player with Minneapolis. During Coach Skinner ' s tenure as mentor, Manual played a superior brand of ball. His 1925 squad laid claim to the mythical city championship. When Mr. Skinner departed for Valparaiso University in 1930, Mr. A. R. Williams, now head of the history depart- ment, was appointed head mentor. Coach Williams stepped in at a time when base- ball interest was steadily declining; many students began to stay out of school during the depression, and baseball, which has never been self-supporting financially, was hit by lack of money along with the extreme difficulties of getting up a schedule since all the Indianapolis schools had dropped baseball. In 1932, despite nine victories in ten starts, baseball reached the end of its rope; the sport was officially dropped from Manual ' s athletic roster before the spring of 1933. Though weeds grew over the local diamond, inter- est in baseball did not wholly die. After 12 years it was brought back when the Roines Club, led by Charles Menges and Gerald Tutterrow, supplied money for uniforms and the enthusiasm to spark the game. At this writing, there are several weeks remaining before the 1945 season is opened. Prospects are bright for a good outfield and infield, fair pitching and good distance hitting. With this nucleus for a nine, there is hope for Manual to play the style of ball of the " Skinner era. " In the past baseball has been a difficult sport to maintain, but in the future when the postwar Manual is near Delavan Smith Field, one of the best laid out fields in the county, perhaps the student body will give it the support the American sport deserves. f


Suggestions in the Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) collection:

Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collection, 1942 Edition, Page 1

1942

Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collection, 1943 Edition, Page 1

1943

Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collection, 1944 Edition, Page 1

1944

Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collection, 1946 Edition, Page 1

1946

Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collection, 1947 Edition, Page 1

1947

Emmerich Manual High School - Ivian Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) online yearbook collection, 1948 Edition, Page 1

1948

1985 Edition, online yearbooks, online annuals 1970 Edition, online yearbooks, online annuals 1972 Edition, online yearbooks, online annuals 1965 Edition, online yearbooks, online annuals 1983 Edition, online yearbooks, online annuals 1983 Edition, online yearbooks, online annuals
FIND FRIENDS AND CLASMATES GENEALOGY ARCHIVE REUNION PLANNING
Are you trying to find old school friends, old classmates, fellow servicemen or shipmates? Do you want to see past girlfriends or boyfriends? Relive homecoming, prom, graduation, and other moments on campus captured in yearbook pictures. Revisit your fraternity or sorority and see familiar places. See members of old school clubs and relive old times. Start your search today! Looking for old family members and relatives? Do you want to find pictures of parents or grandparents when they were in school? Want to find out what hairstyle was popular in the 1920s? E-Yearbook.com has a wealth of genealogy information spanning over a century for many schools with full text search. Use our online Genealogy Resource to uncover history quickly! Are you planning a reunion and need assistance? E-Yearbook.com can help you with scanning and providing access to yearbook images for promotional materials and activities. We can provide you with an electronic version of your yearbook that can assist you with reunion planning. E-Yearbook.com will also publish the yearbook images online for people to share and enjoy.