Text from page 14:
Search for Classmates, Friends, and Family in one
of the Largest Collections of Online Yearbooks!
Your membership with E-Yearbook.com
provides these benefits:
- Instant Access to Millions of Yearbook Pictures Online
- Full Access to High-Resolution, Full-Color Images
- Search, Browse, Read, and Print Yearbook Pages
- Access College, High School, and Military Yearbooks
- Support the Schools in our Program by Subscribing
,llllllll llllllllll NllllIll'HIIIOOIIIIIIIIIQIIIIIUII Ulllllll
4, , +
E llIlllllllllllllllllllIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII T H E W 1 NQQ A 3IlllIllllllllIIIIilllllhlwlllllllllllllllllllllifmr
'lnnnn ummnnnann-mnuuuninuuluu 1 .mmm
9. The May Day fete of 1911 resulted in raising more than 3100 for the high
10. On November 17, 1911, High. School Topics, Vol. 2, No. 1, was revived with
Leon Applewhite as chief editor. Only three numbers of volume two were issued.
11. On May 24, 1912, the class of 1912 presented the high school with a picture
of Sir Galahad. This inaugurated the custom since followed that each outgoing gradu-
ating class leave some gift to the high school.
12. On May 23, 1913, the class of 1913 presented the high school with a hand-
some statue of Minerva. This statue has since been broken and has not yet been
13. On May 24, 1913, bonds to the amount of 330,000 were voted by the district
for enlarging the school buildings of the community. The vote was 249 for and none
14. On May 23, 1914, the class of 1914 presented a loving cup to be awarded
each year to the student of the Junior class who makes the best record in studies and
other school activities.
15. On April 9, 1915, Lalla Rookh Fleming and Ethel Gardner won the Aycock
Cup in the state-wide debate finals at Chapel Hill, defeating the Statesville High
School. This debate attracted considerable attention due to the fact that the winners
were both girls and their opponents both boys.
16. On May 28, 1915, the Senior class presented the high school with a yard
17. In September, 1915, the Wilson Woman's Club opened the high school lunch
room at the high school building, then located on Maplewood avenue.
18. On April 11, 1916, the Wilson High School app-lied for accredited relations
in the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and was accepted.
The school has maintained its standing with the Southern Association during the
eleven years since 1916.
19. On April 14, 1916, Wade Gardner and David Isear lost the state-wide debate
to the Graham High School in the finals at Chapel Hill.
20. On May 19, 1916, the class of 1916 presented the high school with 3258.58
to be used for gymnasium and swimming pool equipment in the future high school
21. On April 10, 1917, bonds to the amount of 3150,000 were voted by the dis-
trict for enlarging school facilities, the vote being 273 for and none against.
22. On April 12, 1917, Thomas Burton and W. P. Anderson, Jr., won the Aycock
Cup in the state-wide debate finals at Chapel Hill, defeating the Jamestown High
23. The class of 1917, on May 18, 1917, donated 3232.75 toward the purchase of
a moving picture machine for the high school.
24. The class of 1918, on May 17, 1918, presented the high school with 3450.00
in thrift stamps and liberty bonds for the equipment of the gymnasium and swimming
pool in the future high school building.
25. Beginning with the school year 1920-21, a teacher of physical education was
employed for the first time in the history of the high school.
26. Beginning with the school term on September 1, 1920, the Board of Trustees
adopted the salary schedule suggested by the State Association of City Superintend-
ents, which is still the salary schedule for Wilson High School and elementary teachers.
27. On November 3, 1920, Wilson High School Echoes, volume one, number one,
appeared. Volume four, number seven. on April 29. 1924, was the last issue of this
paper. Elizabeth Atkins, Max Von Miller, Frances Woodard and Mary Coon were the
chief editors during the life of High School Echoes.
28. On May 7. 1921. bonds to the amount of 3300,000 were approved bv the com-
munity, the vote being 645 for to 15 against, for the purpose of erecting a high school
building and for additional school buildings for the district.
29. On May 27, 1921. the class of 1921 presented the high school with a gift of
3349.48, to be devoted to the promotion of physical education.