High-Resolution, Full Color Images Available Online
Search, Browse, Read, and Print Yearbook Pages
View College, High School, and Military Yearbooks
Browse our digital annual library spanning centuries
Support the Schools in our Program by Subscribing
Page 5 text:
THE ARSENAL CANNON 3
of wooded land one and a half miles east
of the city, containing 75.14 acres was
purchased for 835,500 The site chosen
by General Buckingham belonged to
Calvin Fletcher, Jr., Allen R. Benton and
Herman Sturm. Deeds were secured
from them on the following dates: Decem-
ber 15th and 22nd, 1862 and November
2nd, 1863. The last deed secured Arsen-
al Avenue from Nlichigan Street to Ver-
mont. The Government improved the
entire length to lVashington Street. East
Tenth at this time was a poor, country
road. The State ceded jurisdiction to
the United States on February 21, 1863.
The Government began work in August
of the same year, under the command of
Captain T. Treadwell. The principal
buildings were erected under the direction
of hflajor James hi. VVhittemore who
succeded Captain Treadwell, February,
186-1. The Store House or Arsenal fthe
Nfain Buildingj, bearing the date of 1865
on its front arch was followed by the
East Residence, Office, Artillery Building
CShopsj, and Powder hflagazine. Later
the Barn, lVest Residence, Guard House
lbuilding at the gatel, the gateway, and
VVork Shop CPower House and Electrical
Buildingj were built from 1869 to 1893.
Thus we learn that the Government
manufactured no ammunition on our
Arsenal Grounds during the Civil War.
All the buildings were built with greatest
care and skill from choicest pressed brick
and cut Vernon limestone. The excel-
lent condition of the buildings after with-
standing all these years of weathering
verifies the quality of government work-
The grounds, walks, and carriage ways
show the work of expert landscape gar-
dening. Forest trees were allowed to
stand, and their growth encouraged.
Nlajor A. L. Varney superintended the
erection of the water tower and the iron
fence. hlajor Comley added the rose
beds, grape arbors, and lilacs.
During the years 189-1 and 1895, there
was a general movement throughout the
country toward the abandonment of
arsenals. The Indianapolis Arsenal was
on the decline. At the outbreak of the
Spanish American VVar in 1898 this
Arsenal was raised from a third to a
first class when haversacks and knapsacks
were made in the Shops and Artillery
Building. As the war soon ended, this
Arsenal was no longer needed. lylajor
Charles Shaler who was Commandant at
this time, became the last of thirteen
commanding officers stationed here. ln
191-1, he came to Technical High School
and talked to the members of the Can-
iVith the exception of the period during
the Spanish American VVar, this Arsenal
stored only heavy and lighter arms and
some ammunition. At one time there
were 100,000 rifles stored in the second and
third floors of the Arsenal Chflainl Build-
ing. The usual assignment of soldiers
consisted of fifty. The property was
authorized to be sold under an act of
Congress approved June 30, 1902.
The final abandonment of the Arsenal
was marked by the firing of the last
sunrise gun, April 13, 1903.
DREAM OF THE TRADE SCHOOL
The question of a trade school in lndia-
napolis was agitated throughout the year
1902, with the result that on hflarch
27, 1903, the Arsenal Grounds were pur-
chased from the government for the pur-
pose of establishing such a trade school.
The money necessary for this was secured
by popular subscription, and placed in
the hands of a committee of Indianapolis
citizens who bought the land from the
United States Government for ,815-l,000.
A year and a month later, on April 8,
1904, the school was incorporated under
a board of eight trustees and Sol.C.
Dickey was made president of the insti-
tute. The school was opened in Septem-
ber of the same year.
In order to enter the school as a stu-
dent, one had to pass a moral, scholastic,
and physical examination, and no stndent
who was under sixteen years of age was
eligible. The tuition for original courses
was one huundred dollars a year, or sixty
dollars a semester.
Wihen the school started out in the fall
of 190-1, the following courses were
offered, pharmacy, decorative painting,
lithography, and electric wiring. Other
courses were added from time to time
until in 1908, the school boasted of seven
Page 4 text:
2 THE ARSENAL CANNON
HISTORY OI" THE ARSILNAL
In 1861, when the Ifederal Government
was unalbe to furnish the first Indiana
troops with ammunition. Governor hlor-
ton, on his own responsibility, established
the Indiana Arsenal. He was most for-
tunate in being able to place in charge
Colonel Sturm, a reliable and capable
man, who had studied the art of making
ammunition, in Germany. Colonel Sturm
furnished, to the National Government,
samples of his manufacture which were
highly approved. The work was begun
on a small scale in the north half of the
present State House grounds. The State
furnished the material, and instructed
Colonel Sturm and a detail of the Elev-
enth Indiana Regiment to begin work.
The bullets were moulded in a shop on
the south side of Vliashington Street
opposite the State Irlouse. By IS63 the
work increased to such proportions that
it was considered dangerous. so was
moved to Colonel Sturmls ground, into
shops facing Vermont Street, south of
the Sturm residence, now on Sturm
Avenue. The temporary store house or
arsenal stood on the south side of Klich-
igan Street facing the present Arsenal
As the war progressed, it demanded an
increase in the working force of both men
and women. Before the war ended, the
Arsenal worked night and day, employing
from live to seven hundred persons and
producing three hundred thousand rounds
of ammunition every twenty-four hours.
Xlr. sl. xl. 13. Hatfield who was employed
by the Government from Alarch 1862 to
the closing of the Arsenal, tells of one
shipment of 6,000,000 rounds of ammu-
nition in cases of a thousand each which
were shipped from the store house after
eight o'clock one night. This extensive
manufacture made it possible for Indiana
to supply not only its own regiments but
also to assist the National Government
in preventing serious disasters.
Shortly after the establishment of the
Indiana Arsenal, the Vlar Deaprtrnent
learned that it could buy better ammuni-
tion at a more reasonable price than it
could from any private corporation.
Vllhereupon the National Government
and the State entered into an agreement
by which the former agreed to pay for
all ammunition issued, past and future,
at mutually satisfactory prices. At this
time the Klagazine on the south side of
Xlichigan Street passed into the hands of
the United States. Ammunition manu-
factured in the shops belonged to the
State till delivered to the Rlagazine. At
the settlement between state and nation
the former realized a clear proht of
2577,-157.32 from its Arsenal. For some
time negotiations had been afoot to shift
the entire responsibility of manufacture
to the Federal Authority. After the fall
of Vicksburg and Chattanooga, the Wlest
ceased to be a necessary center for manu-
facture of ammunition. There was no
longer a need for the Indiana Arsenal.
It was therefore closed April 1S, 1S6Jf.
TI'IIi UNITED STATIQS ARSICNAL
Long before the closure of the Indiana
Arsenal, provisions had been made for a
permanent National Arsenal at Indiana-
polis. An act was passed and approved
July 11, 1862 which provided for the
erection of Government buildings for
the deposit and repair of arms and muni-
tions of war. For this purpose, the act
authorized an appropriation of one hun-
dred thousand dollars. A beautiful tract
Page 6 text:
4 THE ARSE
more departments, which were molding,
tile-setting, printing, carpentry, machin-
ery, applied science, and masonry.
Eighty students were enrolled at the
school during the first semester. The
school continued to grow until the enroll-
ment reached five hundred, in 1908.
The pharmacy course was directed by
J. H. Gertler, assisted by live teachers.
This school occupied all three floors of
the barracks, and was well equipped.
The school of decorative painting was
located in the Fresh Air School. House
painting, interior decorating, sign paint-
ing, and show-card lettering were taught.
Assisted by two teachers, G. K. Hen-
derson directed the lithography school,
which was located on the entire second
floor of the main building, or what was
then called the Graphic Arts building.
The course in electric wiring was taught
in the power house, under the direction
of R. NI. lNfIurray and two instructors.
The course in moulding was directed by
E. A. Johnson with the aid of one teacher.
This school was located in the west wing
of the shops. The students, while learn-
ing, also did commercial work, and each
student earned four dollars and twenty
cents a week besides a percentage of the
The school of tile setting was conducted
in the "barn" under the instruction of
J. G. Drummond and an assistant instruc-
tor. Several tilers' associations recog-
nized the value of this school, and
authorized the assignment of a number of
The school of printing was located in
the Graphic Arts building. It was first
directed by I". Chandler, and later by
F. O. Climer, who were assisted by five
teachers. The school possessed equip-
ment valued at sixty thousand dollars.
The school of carpentry was located
on the second fioor of the shops and
taught under the direction of A. Robin-
The machinery course was also taught
on the second floor of the shops. The
students in this course, like those in the
foundry school, were given the oppor-
tunity of earning extra money from com-
The course in applied science was a
course in civil, mechanical, and electric'a
engineering. The students were taught
mathematics, drawing, physics, chemis-
try, applied mechanics, and surveying.
The school of masonry was located on
the lower floor of the shops. The National
Brick-makers Association was interested
in this school, and offered a large number
Because of financial failure the school
was gradually discontinued from 1909 to
1912. The school of applied science was
removed to VVinona Lake, and the school
of pharmacy, located in buildings in the
business district of Indianapolis, and
school oflithography, transferred to Cin-
cinnati. The school of printing, under
the direction of lXfIr. Tol iXIcGrew, has
been in continuous successful operation
and is, perhaps, the largest Trade School
of Printing in the United States. The
school of machinery is also still main-
tained in the shops, as our vocational
courses in lXfIachine Shop Practice.
Thus The VVinona Technical Institute
established the types of schools for prac-
tical education now carried on in the
vocational courses in Technical High
School. l- M. D.
CCopied from "The Hear Ye." A
freshman's opinion of Tech in 1912.2
In the City of Indianapolis,
On the north-east side,
Stands a school of honor,
Ranked among the high.
Technical is the title,
Uf this school well known.
XIay her name be truly honored,
And her praises sung.
Excelsior's the motto,
Of this school of fame.
hIay we find each pupil
Guarding honor in its name.
The Cannon wishes to acknowledge the
receipt of the followingexchanges: "The
Shortridge Daily Echof, "The Brook's
School News," and "The Bell News,"
all from Indianapolis. "The White and
Goldf' of VVoodbury, N. Y., and "The
Advocate," of Lincoln, Nebraska, have
"met half way" and are most welcome
Suggestions in the Arsenal Technical High School - Arsenal Cannon Yearbook (Indianapolis, IN) collection:
Are you trying to find old school friends, old classmates, fellow servicemen or shipmates? Do you want to see past girlfriends or boyfriends? Relive homecoming, prom, graduation, and other moments on campus captured in yearbook pictures. Revisit your fraternity or sorority and see familiar places. See members of old school clubs and relive old times. Start your search today!
Looking for old family members and relatives? Do you want to find pictures of parents or grandparents when they were in school? Want to find out what hairstyle was popular in the 1920s? E-Yearbook.com has a wealth of genealogy information spanning over a century for many schools with full text search. Use our online Genealogy Resource to uncover history quickly!
Are you planning a reunion and need assistance? E-Yearbook.com can help you with scanning and providing access to yearbook images for promotional materials and activities. We can provide you with an electronic version of your yearbook that can assist you with reunion planning. E-Yearbook.com will also publish the yearbook images online for people to share and enjoy.
Material on this website is protected by copyright laws of the United States and international treaties.
No protected images or material on this website may be copied or printed without express authorization.