Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book

 - Class of 1946

Page 1 of 30


Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collection, 1946 Edition, Cover

Page 6, 1946 Edition, Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collectionPage 7, 1946 Edition, Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collection
Pages 6 - 7

Page 10, 1946 Edition, Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collectionPage 11, 1946 Edition, Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collection
Pages 10 - 11

Page 14, 1946 Edition, Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collectionPage 15, 1946 Edition, Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collection
Pages 14 - 15

Page 8, 1946 Edition, Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collectionPage 9, 1946 Edition, Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collection
Pages 8 - 9
Page 12, 1946 Edition, Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collectionPage 13, 1946 Edition, Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collection
Pages 12 - 13
Page 16, 1946 Edition, Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collectionPage 17, 1946 Edition, Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collection
Pages 16 - 17

Text from Pages 1 - 30 of the 1946 volume:

F , 1 su as 2 2 H . 1 4 N Ks wt, 'g-3.1 1 fv f 5 u Q -. ,bp I 17' 5 1 4 H If If .4 u f 5 N 4 , f X dTliE' s'roR oFA sun? HE ME if J Rf- X NN Y Y . , . ,,.Y. ....,.-.., ., . . ,. ,A 'hun--.-.-.. ,.i-t.w,,,,, ,, I 1 6 . --w-I I' x ' 4 I ! Y, V ,Q 3, 5 U W I L5 1 V n A1 2 1 7. 1 .s v A, 4 , Y fi Q5 13 wx , ? 1 1 I 7 il Q. L! 1. 55 is M 9 ii 'I i 'g g l. ? f 5? EJ 5 gb if '1 af P ,A x ,ii X 2 5 A in i F sms mm sncuou luronmmon DIVISION runuc Rnmrloud sa: g5rA3'rwlENT I 1 THE AD TI-ICN X3 ,mum D n anemia mm OF pu. c"'1a'li2"""' E . x 5 X , 'x X smrs mm A sncrxon runuc mrom, non mvlsxon or r c nnumous mv! Wigwam v. if L. X xx Q0 U '- 19 'wma 0- .JAKE LQW7, wwf ' 2 E, 4 I I 1 s A F Y -- glee dairy ojla anclgtir en BY Lieutenant Jere D. Lustig, USNR Any attempt to tell the full story of a ship and her men-must at best be but a feeble effort. The Iull story is to be found only in the men themselves. The joys, the fears, the experiences of the men who are the life blood of the ship are the true story of the ship. It is with this thought in mind and with a desire to tell the story of their experiences that this story is written. The ANTHONY is not uniqueg true, we who have been with her since her birth feel that she is just a little better, but this could be the story of any one of these courageous "little ships". A complete story would include the hours, the days, and even the weeks of monotonous and dull routine operating and it is in just these times that that longing for our loved ones at home, and the desire to be back in civilization is the greatest. During the heat of an engagement, there is no time to be lonesome. For the destroyer man, always on the go, there are endless numbers of these unin- teresting jobs which are so very necessary even though they may not seem important to us at the time. It is just such routine work that enabled the navy to build and supply the necessary bases from which the war was eventually carried right to the very islands of Japan themselves. Although it is impossible toput all of the personalities, hopes and fears into this story, it is earnestly hoped that this account will enable us to look back with satisfaction at a job well done. It is with this thought in mind that this account is dedicated to my shipmates for their service on board the ANTHONYQ and it is quite fitting that such an account was started while riding at anchor off Okinawa Island, and completed in the waters of the Japanese Homeland itself. It was in Sasebo harbor, Kyushu, Japan, that Lieutenant Lustig left the Anthony. We who are left will add a postscript to his story to tell former shipmates of the return to the United States and the last days before decommissioning in Charleston, South Carolina. HISTORY On the quiet tropical night of February 15th, 1898, the peaceful Havana Harbor was turned into the scene of one of the tragedies of our nation. As the mighty U. S. S. MAINE was shaken by a terrific blast and then gutted by fire, the Captain's orderly, Private William Anthony, USMC, made his way through the fire and smoke to report to his superior in the same tradition of courage and devotion to duty that was to symbolize the career of the ship that was later to honor his memory. Commissioned in 1920, a flush deck, "four piper" destroyer was too late to carry the brave Marine's name into the fray in the first World War, and after being converted to a mine layer, she was later scrapped. 'J ..,,.. A SHIP IS BORN As the smoke of confusion brought about by the treacherous attack at Pearl I-Iarbor cleared away, there came the opportunity for a second destroyer to carry the name of Anthony- 3111113 as one of the large fleet of mighty midgets of the sea and packing a wallop that no destroyers had ever before possessed, this new destroyer was destined to carry on this Marine's traditions through most of the second World War and to emerge with an enviable record of duty "well done". On the 2nd of August 1942, at Bath, Maine, the keel of this new destroyer was laidg and in but a matter of Weeks, on the 20th of December 1942 after being christened by two teen-age girls, the Misses Alice and Frances Anthony of Penn Yan, New York, the sleek grey hull slid down the icy ways into the bitter cold water of the Kennebec River where she was to be moored until she was ready for delivery to the Navy. A spectator at the launching was Commander David B. Cohen, USN Cthen a Lieutenant! of Montpelier, Vermont who had been assigned as the first Engineering Officer. . As the mighty "A" neared completion, the first of heriofficers and crew started to arrive to assist in the preparations for her fitting out as a man-of-war. The second officer to arrive was Lieutenant Commander Clarence R. Deller, USN, Cthen a Lieutenantb of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Shortly thereafter, Lieutenant Jere D. Lusting of Chicago, Illinois Cthen an Ensignj arrivedg he was to be one of the three officers to serve on her until the J aps had been crushed and the war ended. The two remaining officers who were to share the Anthony's wartime career, Lieutenant Commander Norman C. Wiatt, USNR Cthen Lieutenant! of Los Angeles, Calif., and Lieutenant James G. Raines, USNR of Dawson, Georgia, fthen an Ensignj arrived soon after. There were many more who were to be with the Anthony for her entire war career. ,f A WE JOIN THE FLEET s - . On the 26th of February 1943, this newest addition to the rapidly growing United States Fleet made the high speed delivery trip to the Boston Navy Yard where the commission pennant replaced the emblem of the Bath Iron Works at the truck. Captain R. C. Grady, USN, who accepted the ship on behalf of the Navy turned her over to the first of her three wartime skippers, Lieutenant Commander Blinn Van Mater, USN, of Peru, Indiana. After reading his orders and taking com- mand the new skipper, who was to receive his promotion to Commander before relinquishing his command, spoke the prophetic words to the assembled crew and civilian guests, the latter mostly the families of the officers and crewg "Let's make our ship smart and lets keep ourselves smart so that both at sea and ashore the Anthony will be a smart, thorough, efficient ship that will bode no good for any vessel or object not flying the colors of the United States." How well that mission has been carried out can be best attested by the array of Jap flags that adorn her director at this mo- ment, twenty-two, representing planes destroyed and six representing major bombardments from Bougainville to Okinawa. ' ' l ON oUR WAY i After three hectic weeks of braving the elements in wintry Boston as well as the hazards of a Navy Yard geared to the highest possible speed, spending our leisure moments with our families and enjoying the night life in a not too blue Boston, the "A" steamed out of the harbor and sped north- ward, first to Casco Bay, Maine, thence to the more gentle climate of Cuba, where not far from the scene of her namesake's memorable deed, she went through her training period in the Guantanamo Bay area. The training period was made more. realistic by the participation in two submarine hunts, and one German undersea raider was attacked by depth charges. Unfortunately, we were unable to say that 'the U-Boat was destroyed, but as one of the men said, "We sure must have shaken hell out of her." Upon completion of the brief training period, the sleek craft headed once more for Boston, and spent a short period getting ready for her ultimate work in the Pacific. On the 7th of May, the An- thony stood out of Boston Harbor, headed for Norfolk, and for her real role in the war. Three days later on the morning of the 10th, the Anthony, accompanied by the BENNETT and the ROE, steamed proudly out of Norfolk escorting the first of the new Essex. class carriers to the Pacific. It was a 'proud moment for all of us, although it was tempered somewhat by the knowledge that it would be months or even years before We could again hope to see our loved ones. -4.. Q 'x Ai After spending a short but pleasant few days in "the zone", the three greyhounds of the sea herded their charge into the Pacific and the mighty carrier headed for Hawaii secure in the knowl- edge that she was well guarded. It was on this part of the voyage that the Anthony started anothe: record that is equally as important as that of the enemy destroyed. On May 20th, Lieutenant Cjgj Reuben H. Denoff, USNR, was rescued after making a forced landing at sea. This made him the first of many of our gallant pilots and aircrewmen who were to be saved from the sea by the efforts of this ship, which although dedicated to the deadly business of destruction, also took even greater pride in the saving of lives of our men. PARADISE 0F THE PACIFIC May 31st found the little group ,arriving at Oahu after having been welcomed to the Pacific Fleet. There followed two months of intensive training for the operations that were to come. Al- though this time was spent in training the "A" was now doing her job, as this training included op- erating with and providing anti-submarine protection to the battleships and carriers that were also training in the area in preparation for the time when the fleet would start on the way to Tokyo. It was during this stay in Hawaii that our Navigator, Lieutenant Cjgy Rinaldo Guinasso, USNR, fthen an Ensignj of San Francisco, California, and our Asssistant Gunnery Officer, Lieutenant ljgj D. Ross Denison, USNR, fthen an Ensignp of Hutchinson, Kansas, joined the ship to serve with the others who were serving with the proud ship until the fall of Japan. OFF TO THE FORWARD AREA Feeling better prepared, but still eager to learn more before encountering the enemy, the An- thony steamed out of Pearl Harbor bound for an extended stay in the forward area. At that time, the forward area extended to the central part of the Solomons, before the sleek grey hull was once again to knife her way through the Hawaiian waters, that forward area was to be moved all the way up into the Mariannas. CROSSING THE LINE Escorting a troop convoy Wasn't particularly rugged, but the arrival into the domain of Father Neptune was. The ship arrived at the equator on the 19th of August and the Pollywogs had been well prepared for their entry into the mystic realm by the few but enthusiastic shellbacks among the crew. So important was the occasion that for the two days before, an officer watch had been main- tained on the top of one forward and one after five inch gun mountsg and this officer clad in a steel helmet, fur lined coat, white shoes, and white gloves, but nothing else, searched the horizon for any Sign of his majesty, using a pair of lead sounding weights for binoculars, and carrying a horn upon which he was to announce his sighting of the old man of the sea. The lookouts didn't find him, but they did acquire a good sunburn which put them in a better physical condition for the ceremonies that were to come. The fatal morning arrived and at nine in the morning His Royal Majesty Neptunus Rex, Ruler of the Sea, Cand on any other day, Lieutenant Commander William V. Pratt, USN, the Executive Of- ficerj came on board to conduct the ceremonies. He was attended by Davy Jones Cwho normally used the name of Theodore A. Roginski, Chief Boatswain's Mate, USN, of Long Island, N. YJ and a host of other royal personages. All manner of fiendish tortures were perpetrated on the lowly Polly- wogs who appeared before the court and were not too adequately defended by the Defense Attorney, Lieutenant Norman C. Wiatt, USNR, who being a shellback himself, wasn't too concerned about the charges brought by the Prosecuting Attorney, Lieutenant David B. Cohen, USN. Since justice was quite blind, the inevitable decree was "Give him the works" and another Pollywog was on his way to kiss the tummy of the Royal Baby, get his haircut by the Royal Barber and the special at- tention from various other prominent members of the court. These last three personages normally were W. R. Wright, WT2c, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvaniag H. I. Boren, BM1c, and P. G. Sylva, CBM, USN, of Passing, Virginia. The Royal Queen was attired in a grass skirt, a suitable crown, an odd wig, and some padding under a "bra" that was designed to give a feminine appearance to the most unfeminine person of the ...5... young Ensign from Georgia, James G. Raines, USN R. The unfortunates who appeared before the Royal Court were too busy wondering about the strange lack of justice to properly appreciate the beauty of this Royal Mermaid. I There isn't room to tell the whole story of the day, but it is impossibleto close without a men- tion of the "Turmel of Love" which appeared to those who had the privilege of crawling through it to be merely a long chute made of canvas, filled with garbage and coffee grounds, and ending with the surprising greeting of a firehose of salt water being pushed into their weary faces. Truly, sur- vival was a fit test for anyone going on to face the Japs. THE SOUTH PACIFIC FORCE The ship had been happily on its way to Australia, that most famed of places down under, but as the fortunes of war are fickle, the "A" wound up in Noumea, New Caledonia and after a short stay there, trying to talk French, and buying our first souvenirs, the now eager ship headed for Havannah Harbor, Efate in the New Hebrides where with the Bennett, still her running mate, she joined Ad- miral Halsey's mighty South Pacific Force. A The next few weeks were devoted to more training, ever mindful of the job ahead and the necessity for being in top condition of readiness. Between training, an occasional convoy job kept us aware of the fact that we were now really on the job, but we were eager to start on the "Road to Tokyo". ' I ' Our first task was a huge training battle problem which ended in a sweep in support of the Central Pacific Force's raids on Marcus Island. We had our first taste of operating with our own Squadron of similarly built new destroyers northeast of the Santa Cruz Islands and there on the 3rd of Sept., having encountered no enemy, we retired to Havannah Harbor, where on September 6th, Captain Edmund B. Taylor, USN, Cthen Comman-derj, hoisted his pennant in the ANTHONY as Commander Destroyer Division NINETY, and the "A" was now a proud flagship. - But before we were off to Tokyo, we had our first real excitement when the ship resounded to the cry of "man overboard". It seems that M. A. Webber, MM3c, USNR, of Trent, Oregon, leaned over a lifeline on the fantail to dispose of some trash when the line gave way, and Webber joined his trash. His sudden departure was sighted by the alert Boatswain of the Watch, Percy G. Sylva, who got the word to the bridge, and with perfect teamwork the ship was swung out of the formation, and returned to locate our missing man. It was but a matter of minutes before he was located and picked up by the motor whale boat and, although he had been brushed aside by the bow wake of the destroyer that was close astern of us, he was suffering from nothing more serious than surprise. STARTING TOWARD TOKYO The start on the road began for us when on the 1st of November 1943, the Marines landed at -Empress August Bay, Bougainville Island. They had been escorted to their landing beaches by some of our newest and finest destroyers, and the ANTHONY was among them. The preliminary bom- bardment of the beach was the first one for the mighty "A" and we went at it with real enthusiasm. The J aps sent several raids of planes to assist their grounds forces but these were driven off by the fire of the ships who were also aided by some of our fighter planes of the air arm of the South Pa- -cific Force. ' This was our first experience with Jap planes and while we were right in the center of things, the J aps apparently were wise to remain out of the range of our guns. Not so with one of our sister ships, and although she -shot down a Betty she took a bomb close aboard to receive the first casual- ties suffered by any ship of our squadron. While the casualties were very light, we were nevertheless impressed by the reality and grimness of our business. The real targets, the troop laden transports were safe and thus the air attack was a failure. After a second air raid at noon, the transports completed their unloading an-d the return journey to what was to be our home base for the next few months was begun. We arrived at Purvis Bay, Florida Island, Solomons Islands on the 3rd of November after an uneventful trip. Little time was spent at our base and on the 5th we were once again on our Way with 3, second echelon of Marines. This was to prove a most eventful trip and two new officers had just , -6- IQ I ,, l 001119 ab0ard- Lieutenant USP, Ernest C- HiPP, USN fthen EI'1SigI1J, of Clinton, South Carolina, who -was to become our gunnery officer in time for the Iwo and Okinawa Campaigns was one of the new Naval Academy graduates. The convoy hadnot reached Bougainville when word was received to send ahead two destroyers to cope with an anticipated move by the J aps who were expected to have some destroyers off the coast to cover counter landings. The ANTHONY and our sister ship the HUDSON were selected, and we proceeded at high speed for the area of possible activity. While we didn't encounter any Jap de- stroyers one could hardly say that We didn't find activity. Shortly after midnight on the 8th, the ship went to battle stations due to a surface contact ahead which was assumed to be the enemy. The target turned out to be a native sampan and was passed by, then an aircraft was heard in the immediate vicinity. It wasn't long before it had passed overhead, and the after machine gun control officer, Ensign F. J. McConnell, USNR of Long Island, N. Y., lqoked up, saw what appeared to be a Liberator and heaving a sigh of relief, remarked "Aircover" . . . I-Iis remarks were punctuated by the explosion of a stick of bombs about 125 feet off our port qua er. Since we believed the plane to be friendly, we made efforts to identify ourselves to him, and as he came in a second time, we blinked recognition signals to him. Sy Coatrey, CSM, USNR, of New York, N. Y., saw the response, and remarked "I-Ie's answering us with a flashing red light". Unfortunately these flashes of red were tracers and we were straffed from the stern to the bridge by 50 calibre bullets. As this was not the time to further consider his friendly nature, we let him have a few "flashes" ourselves, and he imme- diately departed for safer places. Fortunately no one was hurt although there were several miraculous escapes. W. F. Hastik, TM2c, of Chicago, Illinois, and W. L. Smith, TM1c, of Powellville, Maryland, who were manning one of the torpedo mounts had bullets pass between them and shatter the instruments in front of them, and Dr. John R. Seal, Lieutenant, CMCJ, USN, of Proffitt, Virginia, who was lying down in the wardroom had one pass over him in such a manner that had it happened a few moments earlier, it would have struck him as he had been standing up working in what would have been the line of fire. We' were unable to contact anything else but our own motor torpedo boats, and in the morning we joined our squadron screening the transports as the troops were being put ashore. "MANY BOGIESH ' Thus dawned what was to be quite an eventful day. Shortly before noon a large group .of enemy planes was contacted approaching the transport area, and although the fighter cover did an excellent job, there were just too many of them, in the next few minutes, over 100.planes attacked. They were dive bombers, torpedo bombers, and fighters but they were no match for the intense AA fire, and the raid was almost completely destroyed by the combined fire of the ships and the fighter pilots who braved our own AA fire to assist us. Being in a favored position, the mighty "A" was able to shoot them down like ducks in a shooting gallery, and by the time that the smoke had cleared away, eleven planes had fallen to the fire of our guns. This did not count any probables, possibles, or assists. One dropped a fish for our benefit before he was "splashed" by the fire from our main battery, but we maneuvered, and it passed about 150 yards astern. Another was making a bombing run on one of our older destroyers whose AA battery vvasn't quite as modern or deadly as ours, but we made fast work of him, there was a burst of smoke, a flash, and he just wasn't there. VVhile we were still discussing the phenomenal score of eleven planes definitely destroyed by our ship alone, a record probably not equalled by a destroyer until the Okinawa Campaign, we were again alerted to another attack but we were just departing with the unloaded transports, and we sought refuge in a rainstorm which appeared as if in answer to our prayers. We were protected by this same storm for several hours on our way "home" and while we were thus protected, the "bogies", unable to get at us, located and attacked our covering force. Their attack was so furious, that the comment was heard made by one of their ships over the voice radio, "There are so many fish in the waterltilooks like Friday". One of those "fish" found its mark, but the "A" and her group found their Way back to base safely. H THE MILK RUN With a beachhead firmly established at Empress Augusta Bay, the supplies and troops had to be kept moving, and that was our job for the next few months. We would convoy, any type craft from the stately Assault Transports to the slower but nevertheless effective, LST's. We had our share of ....7.. "bogies" and the Japs provided us with many excellent pyrotechnic displays on several of the nights that we spent steaming back and forth from Guadalcanal to Bougainville. The snooper planes would drop the flare to illuminate us for bombers or torpedo planes, but epgcept for costing us the loss of our sleep, we received no disasterous effects. We also learned to love the dark nights, and to shud- der at the thought of being out in the bright moonlight. Our monotonous job was broken only by a quick trip to Noumea in the latter part of November when we escorted some returning transports, and we made the most of the opportunity. What had seemed to be somewhat primitive and not too inviting a place when we had arrived there direct from Hawaii and the states now took on new beauty as we arrived there in the relatively cool - breezes after the heat and strain of operating in the Solomons. BARGE HUNTING AT NIGHT The next diversion from the "Milk Run" was an assignment we received late in the afternoon of January 20th, 1944g we were detached along with the USS PRINGLE to proceed to Bougainville Strait between the southeastern tip of Bougainville Island and Choiseul Island. Both were enemy held, and our PT's had been making regular attacks on their barge traffic, when, on the night of the 19th, they had encountered a Jap Motor Gunboat. This was a bit large for them, and we were the answer, and an effective one. Shortly after midnight we spotted a group of troop-carrying barges moving between the islands, and opened fire. The gunboat which had been covering them, and hadn't been-spotted up to that moment, opened fire on the PRINGLE. We immediately shifted our fire to this craft and were in turn honored by their shifting their fire to us, and a stream of tracers passed over the bridge. We returned the compliment by directing our 5 inch, 20 and 40 MM fire on it. It was but a matter of a few minutes before it was reduced to a mass of burning wreckage. The interest in our work was heightened by the reporting by our spotting plane, an invaluable Black Cat, of high speed wakes heading toward us, and we knew that we were in for an encounter with enemy PT's. Shortly thereafter a torpedo wake was sighted heading for us, but again we dodged a "fish" by radical maneuvering. We turned our guns on the PT's and they retired to the safety of the shoreline, but only after we had definitely damaged one or more, and possibly de- stroyed them. . To leave this part of our story without a word about our friends, the "Black Cats" would be shortsighted, indeed. In all of our experiences in the Solomons, we were looked over at night by these true friends and they were a source of continual comfort to us as we steamed close to enemy held waters in the danger scented night. This particular plane was heard to remark to 'another in the vicinity, "They are shooting hell out of everything and they won't even let me drop my bombs". This was indeed typical. Later, we did allow him to drop his bombs on some barges that had taken shelter in the reefs near the beach where we were unable to get at them. This soothed his hurt feeings. The early morning light found us steaming at 30 knots for our refueling base at Hathorn Sound, happy in the knowledge of having destroyed a goodly number of enemy small' craft, and having definitely broken up his operating schedule for some nights to come. A return trip the next night, which was fruitless, proved this. THE NEXT STOP-GREEN ISLAND After having spent a couple of weeks putting the ship back in first class shape and getting some AA firing practice, we were ready to set out on our next invasion. The initial landings on -Green fN1SS8.11J Island were made on the morning of the 15th of February 1944, and having escorted 'the LST group to the objective, we were scheduled for fire support duties. These did not materialize due to the absence of any appreciable number of Japs to oppose our landings. The main interest was 'the large number of hecklers which surrounded and illuminated us most of the night. We did lr-ave .a small surprise raid early in the morning, but the combined fire of the ships, plus the assistance of our P-38's took care of these "SBD's with wheels down" and excellent lessons in the importance of llookouts and recognition were demonstrated. ...g.. S I r .. BAEARDING THE LION IN HIS DEN Shortly after the middle of February, one of the squadrons of destroyers who was acting as the covering force was ordered to bombard Rabaul, New Britain Island, to destroy supplies and any enemy shipping found in the harbor. It was really something for a group of destroyers to steam right into the mouth of the vaunted enemy stronghold of the South Pacific, but the raid was very Successful and not 9- Ship Wa-S damaged- We sighed with relief for them, and the comment was freely passed that they had been lucky to catch the enemy by surprise, but woe-be-tide the next ones to try it. Two nights later we were speeding up St. George Channel for that very purpose! We left Purvis Bay on the 23rd for Treasury'Island, practicing torpedo attacks enroute. It was a grand sight watching the squadron steam out of Purvis Bay, trim grey little warships, bristling with guns and eagerly awaiting the opportunity to trade punches with the enemy. The next night we left Treasury Island and headed up St. George Channel between New Ireland and New Britain. At the entrance to the outer harbor our ,division headed in While the other division 'steamed on, look- ing for shipping and waiting in reserve just in case. As we approached Credner Island, we saw a light blinking as if to warn of our approach, but for some reason we were allowed to steam in unmolested. Opening fire with all five guns, we poured the shells out at almost machine gun rate of fire. Our sister ship was doing the same, and in but a matter of seconds, there was a brilliant fire blazing in what had been an enemy supply dump and barracks area. Still the batteries on Credner Island were silent, and we were thankful. A battery in the Vunapope area fired a few shells at us, but we put it out of business before he got the range. As we steamed back and fourth pouring shells into the blazing supply area, PT boats were re- ported heading our way, and we decided that it was time to withdraw. Shifting our fire to the inner harbor area where we struck what possibly was a supply ship at anchor we started' to retire. Again we safely negotiated the most dangerous part of the harbor, right imder the very muzzles of the shore batteries and out to comparative safety. We continued to sweep north in the hope of running into enemy shipping, but we had no luck, and soon it was time to turn our bows toward friendlier waters. Miles away, our other division could see the fires we had started, and pictures of the area taken the next day proved the success of our venture. So ended our second bombardment. We never could figure out why the shore batteries didn't blast us out of the water, but there are many of us who are satisfied to give the 'credit to some higher power looking down on us and protecting us as our gtms 'spoke out in the name of humanity and freedom. WE JUIMP RIGHT PAST KAVIENG Our next invasion took us beyond Kavieng, that other stronghold of the enemy, and the morn- ing of the 20th of March found us covering the landing of Marines on Emirau- Island, one of the St. Matthais Group about 75 miles northwest of New Ireland. The trip up was uneventful, and our principal hostile act at the objective was to strafe the south end of a small adjoining island when machine gun fire from this island was seen to be endangering our landing craft. The reports on the actual presence of .laps on this little island were contradictory, and it was even reported that there were no Japs on Emirau at allg however, the effect of our 40 MM fire must have made the Marines: feel better, and when we ceased firing, there were definitely no further splashes near our boats. We don't claim this for a bombardment, but we sure made a lot of noise and we almost made a landing ourself as we approached within 1000 yards of the beach. . With the marines firmly entrenched, and the Seebees hard at work on the airstrip, we steamed between Guadalcanal and Emirau to bring in supplies. This continued until the 20th of April, when we left Purvis Bay on a surprise escort trip with a merchant ship. Upon beings detached at sea, we were ordered to proceed to Havarmah Harbor, Efate, for duty with the battleship task force--Some- thing was in the air and we hoped that it would be good. BACK TO CIVILIZATION We had not reached our destination when the news came in that we were going there to escort the Battleship Task Force to Sydney, Australia, for "Rest and Recreation". That was good news if' there ever was good news. We left Havannah Harbor on the 24th of April and arrived at the en- trance to Port Jackson, Sydney on the morning of the 29th after a journey that was spent in get-- , -9-- . ting our "blues" cleaned up and our plans made for one riotous stayin that most famous metropolis. We had planned for this moment during our entire stay in the South Pacific, now We were there. I The first liberty party left the ship about noon, and from then until we staggered up the gang- way at midnight six days later all hands cooperated to banish all thoughts of the War and to have one grand vacation. It wasn't the states, but ,some thought it was even better. VVe didn't have our families there, but no one can say that the friendly people from "down under" didn't do their utmost to -make us feel at home. In turn, we invited a good number of their fair sex to help us celebrate at the two ship's parties which were held at one of the halls in the heart of the city. Both parties were smashing successes. ' ' ' . The following Saturday was a sorry one indeed, for we had grown very fond of this beautiful city and its inhabitants, but the war couldn't wait, and we' turned our bow once more toward Ha- vannah Harbor. At least, we had our memories of a Week! of heaven, and that would help until We could finally head toward home. I ' WE HEAD NORTH AGAIN I After a short period of training and rehearsals, in company with the rest of our squadron and eescorting the battleships and joining cruisers and carriers enroute, we headed for the Central Pa- cific. When we got underway on the morning, of June 2nd, We did so for the first time Without our first Division Commander, Commander Edmund B. Taylor, USN. He had gone ahead to take over the duties of Squadron Commander, and Commander Frank J. Walsh of the USS WADSWORTH Wasacting Division Commander. It was truly a period of change, enroute we got orders for a new skipper as Well. ' , ' The group arrived at Roi Anchorage, Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshalls on the 8th, fueled, pro- visioned and on the 10th headed westward toward the Mariannas. We had a new member in our ship's company, Commander Clyde J. Van Arsdall, Jr., USN Cthen Lieutenant Commandery who was to be our new skipper. 'We had done our job in the Solomons, where the enemy had been checked and then turned backg now we were heading for his own territory, Saipan, Island in the Mariannas, Arriving at Saipan with the bombardment force, We lost no time in getting into action. The heavies bombarded until the middle of the morning, when they headed 'out' to se, and in company with the WADSWORTH, we closed the coastline. Steaming along just off shore, we poured 5 inch shells into the various machine gun emplacements and other targets of opportunity. We had been given the privilege of being the first destroyers in the group to bombard the island. The morning of the 15th found us once more screening the heavy units as they covered the initial landing on Saipan Island. Thus we added one more major bombardment to our record as we cov- ered our fourth invasion. The day passed swiftly and nightfall found us ready for more action. We headed south and the first light of the 16th found us off Guam. Here again, the heavy units began the "softening-up" process that made it possible for the Marines to land. ' FAMOUS FIFTY-EIGHT Our bombardment was broken off by orders to head north to await further orders. The Jap Fleet was going to accept our challenge, and We were going to be privileged to be there. Our Orders came in later in the day, and that night we left our group to join Admiral Mitcher's already famous Task Force FIFTY-EIGHT. This was indeed a far cry from playing guardian angel to LST's, but both jobs were necessary and we went where duty called, There could have been no one on the ship who didn't thrill to the first sight of this mighty task force as we first sighted them in the distance. They covered the entire ocean, and no matter where one looked, there were more carriers, battleships and cruisers, and of course, out in front of all were the sleek grey destroyers. The Mighty "A" was proud indeed to be a part of this mighty striking force. - The reports of the Jap Fleet were proved correct when on the morning of the 19-th, the reports of "Many Bogies" began coming in from all directions. It was the all out attack of the air arm of the Jap fleet. Needless-to-say, We were ready for them, and the raids were broken up by our gallant -1o- I i11 flyers long before they approached within striking distance of our force. Those few who did manage to break through were quickly disposed of, and by 1400, even the few remaining sporadic at- tacks had stopped. The final score, 369 planes 'shot down meant that the Jap force now had little or no air cover available for protection from our own attack. As our planes searched for the Jap fleet, accompanied by the BRAINE, We made a short trip toward Guam to rescue the personnel of two cruiser planes who were reported down on the Water, We found the planes afloat just north of Guam and after futile attempts to assist them in get- ting into the air, we took on board both the crewmen of the seaplanes as well as the carrier crew- men whom they had landed to assist. After destroying the planes by gunfire, we headed back to the task force at high speed. Bogies were reported in the area, but we were unmolested and, just after dark, once again took our places in the formation. The next day found us still searching for the Jap fleet, and when the word came in as to their whereabouts, about 250 miles away, our own planes took to the air for the kill. Meanwhile, we waited impatiently, praying that they would have the best of luck, and that all could return and make safe landings. Our prayers must have been answered as they found their quarry and made the most of the opportunity. Then came the long trip back, and when they finally did reach tlhe force, it was well after dark. With the arrival of the first planes, the mighty armada put aside all fears of submarines in favor of the safety of the flyers, and all ships turned on their truck lights. At times as directed, we turned our 36 inch searchlights on and their brilliant beams shot up into the clouds to guide the planes to us. We hadn't been able to help them strike the Japs, but we could assist them to return safely. As all were extremely low on gas by this time, many failed to make it to their carriers, and were forced to land in the water. Their rescue was assigned to our division, and as the force sped onward toward the Jap Fleet so as to be ready to strike again in the morning, we remained behind scouring the waters on a mission of mercy. By morning, we had covered the area thoroughly, and with our rescued airmen aboard, we headed for a rendezvous with the tankers. Then, since the Jap Fleet had fled, we were to return to our bombardment group to continue our work as a covering force. Our part in the First Battle of the Philippines had been one of mercy, but we felt that we had done our bit. CHANGE OF COMMAND Hardly had the excitement of our latest activity worn off, when on the 30th of June Captain Fondeville L. TEDDER Cthen Commanderp of Berkeley, California, came aboard, via a "boatswain's chair", from the escort carrier which had brought him out to our operating area. He assumed the duties of Commander Destroyer Division NINETY and we were once again a flagship. Meanwhile, we were getting ready for the ceremonies to be held Uhe next day. , On the lst of July, after general drills had been completed, the crew and officers assembled on the fantail in much the same manner as they had done sixteen months previously. This time it was to be good-bye, and after a short speech, Captain Van Mater read his orders. He was followed by Lieutenant Commander Van Arsdall, Jr., who read his orders and who then relieved him as Com- manding Officer. The new skipper made a brief but impressive talk, and we were certain that we would have at least as much confidence in our new skipper as in our old one who had found us an inexperienced and untried group of individuals and had welded us into the trained fighting team that we now are. A few days later the old skipper left in the same manner as Captain Tedder had arrived. LIBERATION .hings had just begun to get monotonous when we got orders to proceed to Guam and com- mence the "processing" which was to make it ready for the Marines. Our little group of cruisers and destroyers arrived at Guam on the morning of the Sth of July and the cruisers began their bom- bardment, That night. the group retired, and the ANTI-I-ONY remained to bombard during the night and harass the Japs with star shells. One of the other destroyers of our squadron was per- forming the same mission on the other side of the island, and between us, we made life very inter- esting for the Japs on the island. ' ' ..11... We continued the bombardment for several days, and at night two destroyers would remain to harass the enemy. This continued until we were relieved by one of the other divisions. We then escorted two "baby flattops" to Eniwetok in the Marshalls where we refueled, provisioned, took on board more ammunition, an-d on the morning of July 17th, we left for Guam. Having safely delivered our transports to their destination, we took our place in the transport screen and from a good vantage point watched the initial landing on the Island of Guam, that first U. S. possession to be recaptured from the enemy. Our somewhat dull but nevertheless necessary duty continued for what seemed to be countless days, broken only by our spending one night par- ticipating in a. cruiser battleship bombardment of Rota Island, but on the 10th of August, we got the very welcome orders that sent us back to Hawaii. They were doubly welcome, as we escorted a. fast transport instead of having to creep along with a slow landing craft convoy, and on the 20th of August we moored in Pearl Harbor. We were back after almost 13 months and it was a happy homecoming. A WE TAKE A BREATHER A i , 'Our arrival at Pearl Harbor signalled the beginning of our first real liberty since we left Syd- ney, Australia, and everyone made the most of it. The Royal Hawaiian Hotel had its share of vis- itors from our crew, and while ,the ship was getting a needed "going over" in the Navy Yard, the crew was getting a well deserved vacation from the rig rs of war. We also managed to get our first pack- age and magazine mail in 4 months, and the excellent air mailservice made thisftruly a pleasant time. A. 5 I - 1 if THE WESTERN CAROLINES W p,,. f I . The stay in Hawaii was broken by participation in rehearsals for ouglpegt operation-the Cap- ture of the Western Carolinesg and it ended by our departure in company with an Escort Carrier Task Group. This new and interesting duty ended rather abruptly when we were detached. at :Eni- wetok, "on the Road to Tokyo'f and assigned to' escort a somewhat varied service group to Ulithi Atoll. This . change caused speculation, and rumors sped through the ship. The "scuttlebutt" that we were going back to the states proved to be "good dope" when we received our orders while enroute to our destination in the Garolines. Although the fighting in the Carolines was still in progress, we were able to enter Ulithi safely, and after fueling began what was to be practically a non-stop trip to the states. This was to be our sixth invasion, but under the circumstances, we were willing to forego anyiclaim to it. Besides, going home was the topic of the day ..... A A ' UNDER: THE GOLDEN GATE. ' f After an uneventful trip of over 6,000 miles, during which dress blues were embellished withi the extra, stripes and "crows" that had been acquired since they had been last worn, and during which we, speculated and planned for this long awaited moment, we steamed under the Golden Gate Bridge at 0612 on the morning ofthe 25th of October 1944. After ITM, months, we were once more in the good old U. S. A. Even the men from Boston, were glad to be in California and only one who has been out of the country for so long can hope to know the thrill. of once again setting foot on American soil. ' , A As the yard workers swarmed over the ship and department heads held conferences with the yard officials, the first leave party got underway. We had the very latest in equipment when we left the states in '43g now by the process which made it impossible for the Japs to have any possibility .of keeping up with: us, were once again to be re-equipped with the most mo-dern of weapons and ac- -cessories, and when the time to return to the battlefront would come, we would once again be as modern as the very newest destroyers. During our stay in the yard, some of our officers and crew were detached, and new faces took 'their places. Among the new officers to come aboard were Lieut. Herbert P. Carrow, Jr., USNR, of Evanston, Illinois, Lieut. Cjgp Eldon G. Elder, QMCJ, USNR, of Vandergrift, Pa., Lieut. Cjgy John 'W. Govanus, USNR, of Chicago, Illinois, Lt. Cjgj John E! Johnson, USNR, of Quincy, Mass., and Lt. fjgp Donald W. Thornton, USNR, of Georgetown, Kentucky. By the time we were ready to sail, these new shipmates knew the ship almost as well as the old timers. ...121 T Goon-BYE Fmsco It init as ell good times have to come to an end, so did our stay in the United States and 3 08? CI' 09 S0011- But, While we were getting our valves ground, and a new set of spark plugs, Ulu' Sister Sh1PS .had been dealing out the blows that were to hasten the end of the war. The Philip- Pines had been 1f1Vaded and was now the scene of a bitter contest. it would have been much more fun to remain at home, but the Navy had a job, and we were a Snfal Put lmportant Part of that Navy, so on the 12th of December, just 47 days after we had sailed in, we once more passed beneath the Golden Gate Bridge and headed out to sea. We made a short trip .down the coast and arrived at San Diego the next day, where we spent a. few days in intense training. Then came a speedy return to San Francisco to make a last liberty in the U.. S. and pick up a convoy. At noon, on the 20th, we headed out to sea and as we dropped 001' Pennies under the Golden Gate Bridge, we hoped that it would be a. speedy return that they would bring for us. ' CHRISTMAS AT SEA Now, a completely modernized destroyer, the "A", like her sister ships who were with her, chaffed at the slow speed of the convoy, but that was our job for the moment, and we made the best of it. Although Christmas at sea might be a. dismal prospect for some, the fact that the pre- vious one had seen us spending the day at our battle stations off Bougainville made this seem rela- tively pleasant. Our presents brought from horney' the gift packages provided us by the Red Cross and the excellent holiday dinner that the Supply Officer, Lt. Cjgy Samuel New, USNR, of South Bend, Indiana provided, made the day a memorable one. The holiday atmosphere was stimulated by Xmas carols and music, both via radio and from a special recording prepared for the day. As we steamed through the night, we could hear the carols and other music from the other ships, and while it made use think of our families, it made us realize the necessity for our job, so that never again would there be a wartime Christmas. ' AT THE ENEMY'S DOORSTEP With our arrival in Pearl Harbor on the 30th of December, we were ushered into the hustle and bustle of a fleet. getting ready for a truly bigoperation. We celebrated New Year's eve at sea, firing night exercises. Then came rehearsals, conferences, and all of the other preparations for the coming invasion. Meanwhile, the men made the most of what would be their last liberty port before they arrived in Japan, or returned to the States. ' The morning of the 27th of January found preparations complete and our force on' its way. It was a gigantic task that was ahead, and this was a gigantic force. Yet, it was but a part of the force that was to be thrown at the Japanese' doorstep. It was hard to believe, but we were actually on our way to invade Iwo Island in the Volcano Islands. This was indeed a stepping stone on the road to Tokyo. It was to be a tough struggle, and how tough is now a matter of common knowledge. The trip was uneventful, and upon arrival at Saipan, the "A" was detached along with the WADSWORTH, and we proceeded to Guam where we marvelled at the changes that had taken place since we had last been there. What had been a relatively complacent little island now was a miniature Pearl Harbor and the airfields could but awe us when we compared what the J aps had done with this Island in 215 years and what we had done in 8 months to create a base for opera- tions that would ultimately lead to Tokyo itself. QQ , We were not destined to be there for the initial landing, but we were close by, escorting a Re- serve Unit, and it was not long before our guns were blasting away at the Japs. We had more than a fair opportunity to test our new equipment against the enemy, and we were pleased at the oppor- tunity to do our bit to help the Marines who were putting up such a courageous fight ashore. This was our 7th invasion and our 5th major bombardment, and just as the coming operation was to overshadow this, so did this bombardment overshadow all that we had done before in both number of days so employed and in number of rounds fired. We were able to leave the area with a sense of satisfaction over a job well done, and the knowledge that the Island was now secure. ...13.... A S'1'ONE'S THROW FROM TOKYO Upon arriving at our base in the Philippines, Captain Edward Young, USN, of Coronado, Cali- fornia, Commander Destroyer Squadron TWENTY-FOUR came aboard and hoisted pennant, thus making the "A" a Squadron Flagship. We had left Captain Tedder just shortly before we left Iwo and were now completely a unit of our new squadron. With the Commodore came his staff of of- ficers and enlisted men, and it Wasn't long before these new faces were as familiar as any of our older shipmates. Here, we also made friends with the men and officers of the other ships of our new unit, and by the time we had completed rehearsals and logistics, we were completely at home in our new role. We left for this next operation on the 27th: of March, escorting one of the transport groups and expecting to do some more bombardment when we arrived at the objective. We had been some- what awed at the prospect of this invasion as it truly was but "A stones throw from Tokyo" or at least from Kyushu. We expected that this was to be something to make all of our previous efforts look feeble, but it would have been impossible for anyone to imagine just what was actually in store. Even now, just the name of Okinawa Island brings back the memories of moments that one thought couldn't happen, and even time itself can't erase some of the scenes that we witnessed there. We arrived at the objective without incident, but the picture of things to come was portrayed by an air attack on one of the other groups as we arrived. We were in a position where we could see the tracers going up and the burning, diving planes coming down. Having brought our transports safely into their unloading area, we took our place as a fire sup- port ship in time to commence the initial "D" day bombardment, and to help out with the curtain of fire behind which our troops anded. They encountered little opposition, and, although slightly sur- prised, we were thankful. We continued our bombardment duties for the next nineteen days, before We left for a "time out" trip south. This made 8 invasions and 6 major bombardments. During our 'first stay at Okinawa as a bombardment ship, We learned what it really was to spend long hours at our battle stations,a.nd just as We had secured, the alarm would come and back we'd rush to man our battle stations before a prospective air attack could become a reality. It was during this time that we saw our first Kamikaze attacks, but we were still being looked over by that protecting power who had looked over us at Bougainville, Rabaul, Iwo and at the many other places where we were in' danger but came through safely. As we saw our first batch of "cripples", we realized just what this "sure hit-sure death" business could mean. It was unbelievable that a ship such as a destroyer could take a hit like these ships had, some by several planes, and still fight back. It made us both proud and humble, proud to be destroyer men serving on one of these "light units" and humble in the presence of the heroism shown by the men who served on these sister ships. But as yet no "Kamikrazy" pilot had looked our way, and we were just as happy about it. - On the 19th of April, we headed afconvoy to the rear area or what is called the rear area now. Here we got a chance to see some movies and relax a bit while the ship got a few "kinks ironed out" and then back to Okinawa. ' We brought our convoy into the transport area on the morning of the 10th of May, and we lost no time getting back to work. . No longer a fire support ship, we reported to the screen commander' and for the neggt several days moved around the various screen stations. Each time we moved, we seemed to get out just ahead of an attack, and the climax came on the evening when ships in the stations on both sides of us were hit. By now, we had begun to get the idea, and wondered when our time would come to go out to a picket station. By now the newspapers had written up these courageous ships who had been doing picket duty and who had either been sunk or damaged. We were proud to be asso- ciated with them, but we'd have gladly forgone the opportunity to become one of them. Never have any ships been called upon to serve as these ships had done. ON THE PICKET LINE ' Our number came up on the 23rd of May, and we headed out for our picket station for duty as a support ship. We were somewhat soothed by the fact that we were heading for a "quiet" station. In the next 4 days this "quiet" station was under attack at least once each day, 7 planes were shot down, 1 bullet riddled attacker crashed harmlessly close aboard us, and the ship with us was hit. ...14.. We had learned what a picket station could be like in this "quiet" station. To hear the word "h ' . . , . 1 e S Commg' 1113 then to heal' the 5 mchf 40 mm, 2o mm all barking out their song of destruction as the attacker comes .into their range is something that is indescribable, but when the 30 caliber machine guns on the bridge commence their sharp stacatto, you dive for the deck, and Wish you could dig a foxhole in its steel plate. A picket station is no place for anyone with a weak heart! '. We got a first-hand View of the damage sustained by our sister ship when we closed her to fight the fires that were raging, and we also got a first hand picture of what stuff our men were made of asiour repair parties went aboard her with fire fighting gear with complete disregard for their safety. Our remaining period at Okinawa was made up of picket duty, and the short logistics and re- laxation period between tours on station. We added to our collection of planes shot down as well as our collection of planes "brought" down. One overly ambitious pilot came so close that the blazing gasoline covered the entire ship forward of the bridge and Lt. Cjgj D. Ross Dennison, USNR, had his hair singed while he was up in the gun director, the highest point on the ship! We knew With that one that either the mighty "A" had truly been built of melted down horseshoes or that some higher power was looking out for us. Most of us will agree that it is more likely to be the latter. This was truly the climax of our career, and the rest that followed Was anti-climatic. For our work at Okinawa, several of our shipmates have been recommended for various awards as a result of their outstanding work, courageous action, and devotion to duty in keeping with the highest traditions of the Navy. As Captain Van Mater predicted, the Mad ANTHONY bode no good for the enemy. MOVING FORWARD t i Our duty at Okinawa finished, we departed on the 24th of June, heading for the Philippines and our next duty. The stay in the islands was pleasant and all hands were completely relaxed when on the morning of July 13th, we steamed out in a fast striking force. We were escorting a fast cruiser task force and were heading into the East China Sea. ' Here we did our bit to maintain the naval blockade that was to strangle Japan, and there was no question as to our complete control of the sea lanes there. It was during this duty that we received the news that we were to lose our skipper who had brought us safely through the most dangerous spots. Comdr. Jackson H. Raymer, USN, of Al- hambra, California, Cthen Lieutenant Commanderl reported aboard, and as prospective commanding officer, accompanied us on our last sweep of the China Sea. On our return, we got ready for the usual ceremonies, and on the 7th of August, 1945, we once more gathered on the fantail to say good- bye to our true friend and second skipper. After relieving Captain Van Arsdall, our new skipper, Captain Raymer, said a few words, and assured us that he was proud to have been given the AN- THONY as his first command. THE GOAL ACHIEVED Between sweeps and typhoons, We returned to Okinawa, where appropriately we first learned of the surrender offer made by the Japs. We thrilled to the sight of the "fireworks" display that re- sulted from the announcement over the radio, and then wisely counselled by our new skipper, we took cover. It would have been indeed sad to come this far and then have anyone injured by shrapnel from a victory celebration! Fate kept our new skipper from guiding us on any expeditions before the war had come to an end, but on his shoulders is the honor and responsibility of guiding the "A" over the strained days when peace was becoming a reality, and through her activities during the occupation of Japan. Just as we had moved through the South Pacific, the Central Pacific, and then the Western Pacific to bring the war to Nippon, now we are supporting and covering the forces who are to occupy Japan and safeguard the peace for which we have fought. The story of the Mad ANTHONY and her part in the war now has become one of her part in the PI'eSeI'Vf1ti011 Of the PS9-Ce, -and we lock to Cap' tain Raymer to guide her activities and eventually bring us back to that paradise, the United States. Meanwhile, some of us are leaving to return to civilian life, others will stay with the. "A", but all can be proud to say that he served on the ANTHONY and the ANTHONY can be confident that she has carried her marine sergeant's name in honor. .-.15.... CITATION S NAVY moss LETTER OF CONIMENDATION espn. Edward W, YOUNG, USN Lt. fjgn Ernest c. 1-npr, USN comar. Clyde J. VAN ARSDALL, Jr., USN Lt. fish Douglas B. MCMONAGLE, USNR A Lt. qjgp Eldon G. ELDER, uvrcy, USNR SH-VER STAR Percy G. SYLVA, CBM, USN Lt. Comdr. Norman c. WIATT, USNR Robert I- EVANS, JR-1 CWM' USNR Lt. cjgm Ross D. DENISON, USNR Joseph A- BROGNA SOM 2!2- USNR Walter Lee HOUSTON, EM 2 jc, USNR BRONZE STAR Robert A. RoULs'1'oN, Ram sfo, USNR Lt. C0mdr. Robert S. BACKUS, USNR LeRoy N. GARDNER, CMM, USN AN ACKNOWLEDGEMEN T To our good friends, without whose assistance the printing of this book would have been impos- sible, we wish to thank Mr. Bernard Katz of the H. W. Fairfax Advertising Agency, New Yorkg the Es-Kay Printing Company of New Yorkg and Mr. Louis A. R. Nelsong President of the Southern Print- ing and Publishing Company of Charleston, South Carolina. The above contributed to the publish- ingrof the story of the Mad "A" at cost and enabled us to prepare this book with the limited funds available. , 'I -16- - POSTSCRIPT Nagasaki, the site of the second atomic bomb was the first Japanese territory visited b 'the . , ' Y ANTHONY. Here the entire crew was given an opportunity to scrutinize the Jap people, their living conditions and customs, first hand. An eye-opening tour of the area devastated by the atomic bomb was made possible through the courtesy of sho re authorities. - On the 291111 of September, after an escort mi ssion to Wakyama, the ANTHONY anchored in the littered harbor of Sasebo. While "sweating out" orders for home, souvenirs were- accumulated and the "A" became "pill-happy" combating an epidemic of dysentary. Through the efforts of Captain Raymer and the courtesy of the U. S. Army, every man on board secured a Japanese carbine to add his collection. The "red letter" day arrived 17 November. At 0843 the anchor cleared bottom and we steamed out of the harbor at 15 knots. No one minded going to sea this time, for our destination was the answer to all our prayers. An atmosphere hovered over the ship which hadn't existed for a year, only now it was more predominant as most of the men were going home for good. The trip to Mid- way, or Goony Bird Island, seemed infinately long, but we finally arrived on the 25th of November. Refueling in seven hours, we departed for a more familiar port, Pearl Harbor, and in a relatively short time the island of Oahu could be seen rising above the sea. Within three days the ANTHONY had authorized passage to our first stateside port, San Diego, so with no delay we got underway. With each turn of the screws, tension grew, and the eve of arrival found men strolling about the decks unable to sleep. As the sun rose, eyes were focused on the horizon which suddenly loomed as mountans, and everyone knew he was home. At the harbor entrance, a crash boat appeared along- side and now civilian, Norm Wiatt, in' a brown tweed suit and a large yellow tie, climbed aboard to welcome us back. Our arrival was a gala affair, for a large band with six beautiful drum majorettes greeted us on the docks. The first member of the crew ashore was "Snowshoes", but soon there- after the entre compliment was enjoying the feeling of having U. S. terra-firma underfoot. An un- limited supply of long awaited fresh milk, do-nuts, and sandwiches was served by a local civilian group. After a year of Kamakazi G. Q.'s, and foreign port liberties, the utmost advantage was made of our three day stay in San Diego. Here we bid farewell to Captain Edward W. Young, our Squadron Commodore CHopscotch 43, who led us through the Okinawa campaign and occupation of Japan. A full power run featured our trip to the Panama Canal, and it proved the Mad "A" still pos- sessed its original pep in spite of almost three years of war. Clt is rumored that the engineering gang sat on the safety valves.J As always the trip through the canal was interesting for the "first timers". Balboa with its rum, women, and silk stockings, provided an eventful four hour liberty. The Atlantic, noted for its rough waters, lived up to its reputation the first few days, but our final entrance to Charleston was made upon a glassy sea. Two days before Christmas the anchor was dropped in the Ashley anchorage, Charleston, S. C. At last we had arrived in the port where the ANTHONY would spend her days as part of the Inactive Fleet. The past three months have been busy ones preparing the ANTHONY for final inactivation and decommissioning. The main engines and boilers were carefully cleaned and preserved with rust pre- ventative compound and the ship was cleaned and painted inside and out. Although the brightly lighted compartments and the sleek painted decks lack the throb of a ship with a sea-going crew aboard, we are sure that our shipmates would be pround of the manner in which we are leaving the ANTHONY to again answer the call to the colors. Dehumidifying machines will soon begin to hum and during the years of peace the ANTHONY will wait ready for a new crew to take her out to blue water again. The present decommissioning date is about April 17th and when the colors and commission pen- nant are hauled down a crew of nine officers and one hundred men will leave the Mad A in berth "Easy", Wando River, Charleston, South Carolina. Future plans call for the ship to be moved to a finger pier at the Charleston Naval Shipyard as a final berthing place. "Snowshoes" went A. O. L. in the Charleston Naval Shipyard in March and the b6S'C eff01'l1S Of searching parties have failed to 1002.116 her- . -17- OFFICERS-U. S. S. ANTHONY . Comdr. Jackson Hunter RAYMER, USN 711 So. Chapel Ave., Alhambra, Calif. Lt. Comdr. Norman Carl WIATT, USNR 3350 W. 9th St., Los Angeles, Calif. Lieut. J ere David LUSTIG, USNR 166 W. Jackson Blvd., Chicago,-Ill. Lieut. Herbert P. CARROW, Jr., USNR 223 Kedzie St., Evanston, Ill. Lieut. James Griggs RAINES, USNR Dawson, Ga. Lieut. Linwood T. LAWRENCE, USNR 210 W. Mt. Pleasant Ave., Philadelphia, Lieut. Ernest CalhounHIPP, Jr., USN Clinton, S. C. Lieut. Rinaldo Louis GUINASSO, USNR 2163 18th Ave., San Francisco, Calif. Lt. Cjg1 Delmar Ross DENIS-ON, USNR ' 403 W. 23rd St., Hutchinson, Kans. Lt. fjgj John Marshall BERGSTROM, USNR Wittenberg, Wis. Lt. fjgl Jack Riggin BURROUGHS, USNR 1224 W. Market St., Greensboro, N. C.- Lt. ljgj John Walter GOVANUS, USNR 4905 North Meade Ave., Chicago, Ill. 19, Pa. A CREW, U. s. s. Billy Ray ADDISON, SF3fc 321 Perl St., Alabama City, Ala. Richard Caswell, ADKINS, Sr., F1fcCMoMMJ , 1914 E. 6th St., Siougg Falls, S. D. Louis Joseph ALBERT, MM1fc 9 Bacon St., Biddeford, Me. Benjamin Clinton ALDRICH, RdM3 f c USS Bearss DD 654 Robert Justin ALESSI, RdM2jc 30 Byron Ave., Kenmore, N. Y. Raymond Dentist ALLEN, S2 jc Route 4, Box 45, Anniston, Ala. William R. AMAROLI, SK3fc 2322 Jones St., San Francisco, Calif. George A., ANDRYS, RM2fc Langdon, N. Dak. John Edward ANGELO, GM3jc 509 11th St. N. E., Minot, N. Dak. John Wakefield ANGUS, RdM3jc 7726 Narrows Ave., Brooklyn, N. Y. Jack Calvin ARMSTRONG, FC1jc 204 W. South St., Clinton, Ill. David Joseph AUDET, SoM3fc 400 W. Cleveland Ave., Montebello, Calif. Walter Cnl, BAKER, Jr., Slfc 2041 4th Ave Kz 20th St., Jasper, Ala. John Rogers BALES, S1 fc 3403 West Seventh St., Fort Worth, Tex. Patrick Edmund BALL, GM3fcCTJ Lt, fjgp John Elmer JOHNSON, USNR 198 School St., Quincy, Mass. Lt, fjgp Wilson Briscoe SWAN, USNR 5015 N. W. 19th St., Oklahoma City 3, Okla. Lt. gjgl Donn DOERR, USNR 15 Olive Ave., Piedmont 11, Calif. Lt. Cjgl Glenn RAYNES, USNR 803 South Normandie Ave., Los Angeles 5, Calif Lt. Cjgy Donald W. THORNTON, USNR 612 D South Blue Grass Park, Lexington, Ky. Ensign Charles Samuel VVIMBROW, USNR Bridgeville, Del. Ensign Lawrence U. HUDSON, USNR 9510 Mountain Blvd., Oakland, 3, Calif. Ensign John Stark KEARNS, USN USS Willard Keith CDD775J, F.P.O. N. Y., N. Lieut. Samuel NEW, QSCJ, USNR 322 W. LaSalle St., South Bend, Ind. Lt. Cjgj Eldon Glenn ELDER, KMCJ, USNR 248 Darragh St., Pittsburgh, Pa. Ensign Marvin LeRoy HOGG, CSCJ, USNR Route 1, Granite, Okla. ANTHONY U.S.S. Yosemite fAD19J, Fleet Post Office, San Francisco, Calif. Sam H. BALL, Jr., RdM3fc 2115 Bull St., Savannah, Ga. Keith O'N eil BALLENTINE, RT1fc NTS-CH KEE 8z RMJ NTC, Great Lakes, 111. John BALOG, Y1 fc R.F.D. No. 2, New Brighton, Pa. Fidel Protillo BARRIENTOS, F1 jc 1458 West Jackson Blvd., Chicago, Ill. Ralph BATEMAN, FC2fc Elmer Earl BEAN, SC3fc U. S. Naval Hospital, Charleston, S. C. William Victor BENCH, WT3fc Brownfield Star Route, Lebanon, Mo. Roland Anderson BERRY, MM3jc ' Box 547, R. F. D. 7, Navy Yard, Charleston, S. Joseph Stephen BESENY, S2fcCRMJ U.S.S. Pine Island CAV 129, FPO, San Francisco, Calif. Robert Craley BIECHLER, CMMCAAJCTJ 513 N. Lime St., Lancaster, Pa. Offie Henry BIGGS, StM2fc Wesson, Miss. Donald Edmund BIRKETT, TM3fc 47 Park View, Newport, Ky. Robert Glenn BIRKHIMER, S1 fc 3947 Terrace St., Hollidays Cove , W. Va. .1g... Y. C. ' Edward W. BITTNER, MM2fc 221 So. 7th Ave., Buhl, Idaho. Richard William BDCBY, SC1fc 312 East 238th Place, Wi-llmington, Wilburn Elvon BLACK, EM3jc 2221 Brooks, Amarillo, Tex. Jack Albert BLAKE, WT3fc Miles Perry BLAND, EM2fc 506 N. Elm St., Champaign, Ill. Byron Grant BRECKE, B3 fc USS Altair QADI15 Fleet Post Office, San Francisco, Calif. Joseph Anthony BROGNA, SoM2jc 87 3rd St., Medford, Mass. Louis William BROWN, TM3fcfTJ 107 North Ninth St., Lafayette, Ind. Darroll Walter BRUNS, S1 fc P. O. Box 144, Algona, Iowa Vernon Eugene BUCHANAN, SF3fcCTl R. F. D. No. 2, Stoyestown, Pa. Ralph T. BURTON, SC3fc 946 State St., New Haven, Conn. Raymond fnl CANTER, S1 fc Box 153, Barton, Ohio Jack Charles CAPADGLI, EM3fc 1122 First Ave., Iron River, Mich. Kenneth Dwain CARLSON, Y1 fc 123 20th Ave., North, Seattle 2, Wash. George Hollie CARPENTER, TM2fcfTJ 304 S. Houston, Hillsboro, Tex. Raymond Lewis CARTER, S1 fc ' Woodford, Va. Richard Gene CARTER, S1 fc USS Arcadia AD 23 Steve Eugene Ernest CARTER, S2 fc USS Arcadia AD-23 Thomas Bass CHADWICK, S1 jc 209 Combs St., Fairfax, Ala. George CHEREPANICK, Jr., BM2fcCTJ U.S.S. Ata 203, F.P.O., San Donald Inj CLARKE', COXKTJ 80 Gallup St., Providence, R. I. Darrel Eugene CLARK, GM3fc A Route No. 2, Shirley, Ark. Robert Warren COCHRAN, Jr., USS Bearss DD654 David Cm COHEN, TM3fc 430 Liberty St., Camden, N. J. Albert Lee COLLINS, S1 fc Box 143, Aliceville, Ala. Richard James CONOVER, S1fcCQMJ USS Tumult AM 127 F. P. O., San Francisco, Calif. Clair Wilton COOPER, Bkr 3 fc 1108 E. 73rd St., Chicago 19, Ill. Frank COPA, S1 fc P. O. Box 415, Rodeo, Calif. John Edward CORKERY, GM1jcfTJ 32 Sunset Ave., Chelmsford, Mass. Alonzo Chester CRAMPTON, QM2jcCTJ Lowell, Ore. Francisco, BKR2fc Calif. Calif. Frank Joseph CREASY, SoM3fcCT9 328 70th St., Guttenberg, N. J. Arthur Edward CUBBERLY, RM1jc 187 Winfield Ave., Jersey City, N. J. Bruce Wiley CURTISS, SM3jc 27 Montgomery St., Poughkeepsie, N. Y David Paul DAILY, MaM3jc 12147 Bradon Rd., South Rockwood, Mich Dominic DE BELLA, CEMCTJ 215 No. Felton St., Philadelphia, Pa. James Francis DE COURCEY, SoM3fclTJ 95 Monument St., West Medford, Mass. James Clyde DE LONG, BM2fc 6423 So. Oakes St., Tacoma, Wash. Normand Alfred DESILETS, SK1fc c fo Fleet Post Office, San Francisco, Calif Mark Joseph DEVLIN, SKD1jc 1901 Fairview Ave., Easton, Pa. Gerrit DEVRIES, RM2jc 7320 S. Carpenter St., Chicago, Ill. Charles J. DHUEY, SC3fc USS Arcadia AD-23 ' Henry McHaney DICKSON, Y3jc 3824 Pershing Ave., Fort Worth, Teg. Arnold Alfred DINS, S1fcV6 1728 Spokane, Wash. William Edward DDCON, STM1fc 508 Pearl Place, Chester, Pa. Julian Lothrop DODGE, SM2fc Towne Road, Boxford, Mass. John DOERMER, Jr., EM3jc Bruno Alfonsa. DOMBROWSKI, SM3fc 6814 So. Campbell Ave., Chicago, Ill. John Marvin DONAVAN, MM3fc' Buffalo, Minn. Ernest Winters DUFF, CCS A Route 1, Adams, Tenn. Maurice Edward DUPONT, Cox 102 Tolles St., Nashua, N. H. John Arthur DURANT, S1 fc A USS Arcadia AD-23 Bernard George DUSHOCK, CM1fc 53 Post St., Yonkers, N. Y. James Lucien Donald EDENS, S2 fc A Box 93, Birde, Miss. Ralph Austin EDWARDS FC1fcfTJ 91 Alban St., Dorchester, Mass. Donald Dean ELLSWORTH, S1 jc 1023 White Bear Ave., St. Paul, Minn. Donald Leslie ENGLIN, MM3fc 1013 Seminary Ave., St. Paul, Minn. Wm Gray ENTERMANN, GM3fc USS Bearss DD654 Fred Richard ERTLER, GM2fc 3322 N. Phillip St., Philadelphia, Pa. Lester EVANS, ST2fc ' 19 South 6th St., Texas City, Tex. Robert Ingram EVANS, Jr., CPhMCAAJCT3 Tenille Ave., Donalsonville, Ga.. Joseph Jene EYSKENS, EM2fc 232 Washington St., Hoboken, N, J. ..19.. Duwain Arlie FAGERSTROM, S1 f c 614 7th St., Valley City, N. D. Alfred Frank FEDERICO, SK2fCfTJ 41 Symphony Rd., Boston, Mass. Paul Gilbert FERGUSON, PhM2fcCTJ Robert -Otto GOERLICH, WT2jc 1640 Longshore Ave., Philadelphia, Pa. Howard GOLDMAN, Y2fc Riddle, Ind. Paul Lysle GOOCH, Y1fciTJ U. S. S. Wadsworth QDD516J, Fleet Post Office, 1346 Neola St., Los Angeles 41, Calif- New York, N. Y. Hampton Hogg FERRIS, S1 fc Box 775, Blacksburg, Va. Lloyd Erling FINNE, F1 fc 1655 So. 79th St., West Allis, Wis. Harold Henry FISHER, Jr., WT3fc 222 Church St., So. Williamsport, Pa. Raymond Earl FISHER, Slfc Route 1, Thebes, Ill. Isom Chester FLEETWOOD, 'MM2fcfTJ R. R. No. 2, Nashville, Ind. Anthony John FORTUNATO, Cog. 1931 East 23rd St., Brooklyn, N. Y. Sanford Eugene FOUST, GM2fcCTJ 3 Clark St., Canton, Mo. Vincent Paul FOXEN, MM3fc 6229 Vesper St., Van Nuys, Calif. Robert Kennethl FRIEDLANDER, S1 fc 1717 Strathmore Ave., East Cleveland, Ohio. Vincent William FRISCH, MM2fc 231 E..Lyt1e St., Fostoria, Ohio Lenford Harvey FRIZZELL, Jr., GM2jc 530 W. Daisy Ave., Lodi, Calif. Robert Howe FULLER, Jr., S1 jc Coal City, West Va. Robert Harold GAFFEY, SF3fc USNH, Great Lakes, Ill. Samuel Beam GANTT, TM1fc Route No. 2, Vale, N. C. i LeRoy Newman GARDNER CMMCAAJ CTJ Morris Park, Phillipsburg, N. J. William Arland GARNES, TM2fc 808 Oakland Walk, Charleston, W. Va. Marvin Gerald GATES, MM3jc 4109 Cambridge Ave., Des Moines, Ia. Presley Marion GENTRY, BM2fc 1446 24th St., Detroit, Mich. Bob,Lee GEORGE, PhM3fc ' 5170 So. Wilton Pl., Los Angeles, Calif. Stanley Vance GEORGE, Jr., S2 jc R. R. No. 1, Box 21, Moline, Ill. Aniello Anthony GERARDI, FCO2fc 306 York St., West Haven, Conn. Henry Martin GERSH, S1 fc 53-22 72 St., Maspeth, L. I., New York, N. Y. Alfred Jacob GIESICK, S2 jc 121 N. 25th St., Billings, Mont. Crawford Leon GILLEN, SM3jc Route 4, Corsicana, Tex. Jack GILPATRIC, S2 fc Receiving Station CFFTJ, Charleston, S. C. John Ezekiel GODFREY, F1 fc Newdale, Idaho Walter Eugene GOODENOUGH, FC2jclTJ 676 Stimson, Detroit, Mich. Charles Henry GRAHAM, CMZMQAAJ CTJ 221 S. 40th St., Philadelphia, Pa. Cody Vaughn GRIDER, COXCTJ 1338 N. W. 2nd St., Oklahoma City, Okla. Eugene Paul GRIFFITHS, S1fclTMJ General Delivery, Carmel, Calif. LeRoy Hank GRISWOLD, S1 fc Burris, Wyo. Robert Raymond GROUSNICK, S fc 6542 Sangamon St., Chicago, Ill. Casimir John GRYCZKOWSKI, TM1fcCTJ USS Pine'Island CAV 123 San Francisco, Calif. Harold Philander HANNUS, MM1jciTJ 11 Van Norden Road, Woburn, 'Mass. Oliver Calhoun HARBIN, Jr., CWTKTJ 539 North Windson Blvd., Hollywood, Calif. Walter Frank HASTIK, TM2fc 3046 So. Christiana Ave., Chicago, Ill. Frank D. HASTINGS, SM1jc U. S. S. Rowe, Charleston, S. C. Estil HENDERSON, BM1jc Kay Jay, Ky. Jack Charles HICKS, WT1jc Englewood, Tenn. William Dean HIGGINS, S1 fc Waterloo, Wis. Milo Calvin HILL, WT3fclTJ Smith Center, Kans. Edgar Joseph I-IINEY,'S2jc 508 S. Pine St., Roseburg Ore. Phillip Doyle HINTON, Jr., S1 jc R. No. 2, Clay, Ky, Gilbert Elias HOBBS, S1fcV6 424 West Broadway, Glendale 143, Calif. William Fredl-IOHENSTEIN, S1 fc 7914 Hal-le Ave., Cleveland, Ohio. Thomas James HOLDING, GM3fc 488 Fourth St., Apt 9, Buffalo, N. Y. Joseph Michael HOLLAND, sifcve V 10 Bright St., P. O. Bog: 250, Jersey City, N. J Albert Everet HOLLOWAY, S1 fc Rt. 5, Newnan, Ga . Lloyd Edward HOLM, lMElVl3jcfTJ 203 W. 5th St., St. Paul, Minn. Kenneth .Alfred HOMER, WT3fc Dexter, Ore. Marvin Francis HOOEY, F1 jc 2711 Rainier Ave., Everett, Wash. Paul Jasper HOOKS, MM2fciTJ Route 1, New Holland, Ohio. .-2 0. D I V o l 5 3 Louis William HOSKIN, Ck3jcCT3 1704 E. 3rd St., Little Rock, Ark. Kenneth Warren HOUGHTON, SoM2fc 28 First St., Webster, Mass. Lee Walter HOUSTON, EM2fcCT3 4520 N. W. 14th Ave., Miami, Fla. John Dutton HURN ' RM3fc CTJ Ward 36-2 U. S. Nav. Hospital PFT, San Diego, Calif. Harry Elwood INGRAM, TM1fcCT5 119 W. 7th Ave., Conshocken, Pa. Edmond Dwight JACOBS, F1jcCMoMMJ U. S. S. Sioux CATF-753 F. P. O., San Francisco, Calif. Alfred Henry JEPSEN, MM3jc 508 South Main St., Richfield, Utah Francis Judson JOHNSON, WT1fcCTJ Route No. 2, Keysville, Ga. Irvin Leroy JOHNSON, MM1fc 659 High St., Burlington, N. J. Leo JOHNSON, Jr., R.M3fc U. s. s. Kalk CDD 6119, Navy snip Yard, Charleston, S. C. Chester JZYK, WT2fc - 18 Lincoln St., Adams, Mass. Karl Charles, KAFTON, GM3fc Jonathan Herbert KAHARL, RdM2jc 71 Atlantic St., New Bedford, Mass. Robert Lee KAUFMAN, F1 fc R. R. No. 1, Botkins, Ohio Joseph Lally KEYES, Jr., RdM3fcCTJ Sawyer, Kans. Joseph Parker KILCREASE, RdM1jcCTp Route 5, Box 230, Jacksonville, Fla. John James KOWALSKI, Bkr2jc 96 Grimes St., Buffalo, N. Y. Wilfred Robert KRUPA, SoM1jc 7 Merriam St., Meriden, Conn. Orval James LAMMERT, S2 fc U. S. S. Yosemite CAD 195, Fleet Post San Francisco, Calif. William Thomas LANDRY, F1 fc 510 Cherokee St., New Orleans, La. Harold John LEARNED, S1fcCTMJ Receiving Station, Boston, Mass. Raymond Robert LEMKE, S1 fc 1259 N. Hickory St., Joliet, Ill. Gerald Edwan LOVELESS, SSMCLJ2fc 2220 Capital Ave., Sacramento, Calif. Harold William LUEDTKE, QM2fcCTJ 446 W. Burleigh St., Milwaukee, Wis. William Richard MACHGAN, Cox. 17 W. Winfred St., St. Paul, Minn. Edwin Emerson MAGOVERN, S1fcCQMJ U. S. S. Swift, CAM 1221, FPO, San Francisco, Calif. Joseph Lawrence MANION, GM1fcCTJ 150 Hudson Ave., Green Island, N. Y. Jack LeGrand MARSH, EM2fc. Office, 403 North New Ave., Monterey Park, Calif. Courtland Everett MARSHALL, ETM2jc 2514 May St., Cincinnati, Ohio Enterprise, Ore. Ben Franklin MARTIN, SC2fc Stephen Nelson MARTIN, Jr., ETM2fc 5533 Bryant St., Pittsburgh, 6, Pa. Wallace Roy MARTIN, BM1fcCTJ 2025 South Main St., Anderson, S. C. Albertus Johnson MATHER, Cox R.F.D.No. 2, Jefferson Ave., New London, Conn. Norris Norman McATEE, S1fcCTMJ Oakridge, Ore. ' James Charles MCCABE, WT1fc 91 Egerton Rd., Arlington, Mass. Thomas Gerald McCARTHY, S1 jc 511 High St., Holyoke, Mass. Lindell McCULLOUGH, RdM3fc fn, Wayne Leighey, Lawrensville, Ill. George C. MCGAFFIN, SM2fc 21 Harding Ave., White Plains, N. Y. James Stephen MCGONAGLE, MM1fcCT1 4 Fairmount Terrace, Wakefield, Mass. Thomas Blake MCGRANAHAN, S1 fc 1135 Harrison Ave., Columbus, Ohio. Grover Whalend MCGUIRE, F1 jc 1135 Harrison Ave., Columbus, Ohio John Joseph McGUIRE, S2 jc USS Deft CAM 2163, FPO, San Francisco, Calif. Evan Neil McKEE, CGM W Marquette Hotel, Cape Girardeau, Mo. John Lawrence MCLAUGHLIN, QM1fc 30 Division St., Pittsfield, Mass. Kenneth Loney MCLAUGHLIN, CTM U. S. Navy Recruiting Station, Birmingham, Ala. John Donald McLEAN, GM3jc Hampton Manor, Rensselaer, N. Y. Troy Lee MCLEMORE, MM3fc U. S. S. Kalk CDD 6117, '34, Charleston Navy Yard, Charleston, S. C. Joseph MCNAMARA, MM2jcCTJ 19 Golden Hill, Danbury, Conn. Edward Joseph MCNICHOL, MaM3fcCTJ 1251 S. 28th St., Philadelphia, Pa. John Edward MEAD-OWS, S1 jc 213 South Oates St., Dothan, Ala. Joseph Michael MELNICK, CRM 906 W. Magnolia St., Compton, Calif. Carmen Michael MICCICHE, COXCTJ 1142 Eynon St., Scranton, Pa. Lester C. .MILLER, S1 fc U. S. S. Arcadia AD 23 Leo Richard MILLER, Jr., S1 fc 742 Central St., Leominster, Mass. Edmund G. MISAJ ET, MM3fc U. S. S. Stevenson CDD 6459, George Joseph MONREAU, MM2fc . U. S. S. Dyson DD 572, C72 Navy Yard, Charleston, S. C. 21- M -6 'Zi F. P. O., New York, N. Y. 5 Joseph MORENZI, S1 jc 52 Pengrove St., Cranston, R. I. Charles George MORRIS, MM2jc CTD 19 Fletcher St., Uxbridge, Mass. Evern Dale MYERS, WT3fc Box 72, Zoar, Ohio Gerard Walter NADEAU, GM3jc Box No. 3, West Kennebunk, Me. Robert Mathew NELSON, BM1jc 2 Burt St., Boston, Mass. Epamenontae NICOLOPOULOUS, S1 jc 15 Crown St., Webster, Mass. Alexander Michael NUZZOLILLI, S1 fc 94 Washburn St., Springfield, Mass. Richard William O'BRIEN, TM2cCTJ 39 Dover Park, Rochester, N. Y. Robert Hughes O'CONNELL, S1 fc 449 Jennings Rd., Bridgeport, Conn. Eugene ONNEY, GM1fc 214 Rockland St., Lancaster, Pa. Gene Fredrick ORTEGO, QM2jcCTJ 2012 Rapides Ave., Alexandria, La. Norman Lee OWEN, S2 fc . Route No. 2, Senath, Mo. Horace R PAGE, EMI3jc Woodville, Ala. "M" "A" PETERS, S2 jc Rt. No. 3, Graceville, Fla. Billy Gene PHIPPS, RM1fc 835 11th St., Charleston, Ill. Henry Morgan PIMLEY, S1 jc Private River Road, Delawanna, N . J. Charles James POWELL, S1 fc 85 West Alvord St., Springfield, Mass. John Eric POWELL, FC3fcCTJ USS Cowie CDMS-391, F. P. O., San Francisco, Calif. Joseph PRESTASH, S1fcCSMJ U. S. S. Cowie DMS-39, F. P. O., San Francisco, Calif. Julius Flay PROPST, S2 jc Route 1, Linconton, N. C. Martin RASMUSSEN, Jr., S2 fc U. S. S. Deft CAM 2163, F. P. O., San Francisco, Calif. Herby RAY, F1 fc Rt. 3, Box 44, Kilgore, Tex. Francis Patrick REAY, F1fcCEMJ U. S. S. YTB 405, F. P. O., San Francisco, Calif. Thomas Joseph REIF, Cox. 3960 Mt. Vernon St., Philadelphia, Pa. Martin Ellsworth RHODES, F1fcCEMJ U. S. S. Sioux CATF-753, F. P. O., San Francisco, Calif. Darwin Jack RIEGEL, F1fcCEMJ USS Samaritan CAH10J, Fleet Post Office, San Francisco, Calif. James Earl RILEY, Jr., WT2fc 42 Green St., Fairfield, Ohio. Leo Joseph ROBERTS, SC1fc 43 Birch Street, Ludlow, Mass. James Gordon RODGERS, MM2fcCTJ 6140 Cedar St., Elmwood, Ky. Robert Albert ROULSTON, RdM2fC 16 Notre Dame Ave., Cambridge, Mass. Bernard Stanley RUCKINSKI, M1 fc 1034 River St., Olean, N. Y. Samuel SAPERSTEIN, S1 fc 2942 West 2nd St., Brooklyn C24J, N. Y. Allen Kedglie SAUNDERS, S1 jcCRMJ U. S.S. Pine Island CAV 121, F. P. O., San Francisco, Calif. Walter SCHANFEIDT, Jr., Y2jcCTJ 1804 Central Ave., Kansas City 2, Kans. Edward Jacob SCHINDLER, Jr., S1fcCRdMJ 1340 Dahlia, Denver, Colo. Raymond Virgil SCHLEY, RM3jc Stratford, S. Dak. Allan Henry SEEBOHM, RM3jc 4451 Greer Ave., St. Louis C15J, Mo. Harry Beaufort SENGEL, FC3jcCTJ FSSch CAdvanced Fire Cntrl Mainty, Repair Base, San Diego, Calif. Daniel William SI-IAW, EM1jc U. S. S. Eaton DD 510, Charleston Navy Yard, S. C. Richard Henry SHEPARDSON, GM2fc 57 Cambridge St., Fall River, Mass. Harold Alexander SLATON, GM2jcCTJ NTSch CGunner's Mates 8z Electric Hydr.J Navy Yard, Washington, D. C. LeRoy Matthew SLIPKE, GM2fc 105 EE St., North Platte, Neb. Garrett SMITH, S2 fc U. S. S. LSM 467, F. P. O., San Francisco, Calif. Howard Grant SNEITH, S2 fc U. S. S. LCS 113, F. P. O., San Francisco, Calif. Robert Lyle SMITH, RM2fc 508 South Jackson St., Charles City, Ia. Roy Gerard SMITH, S2 fc 1721 6th St., New Orleans, La. I Walter Allen SMITH, S1 fc 4018 22nd St., San Francisco, Calif. Walter Lynn SMITH, TM1fcCTJ Main Street, Pittsville, Md. William Francis SMITH, RdM1jc 25 Story Court, Bayonne, N. J. James STAMATELLOS, S1 jc 1012 Walnut St., McKeesport, Pa. Milton Horace STANTON, SoM1jc 14 Anna St., Worcester, Mass. William Fredrick STEINERT, TM3fc R. R. No. 2, Theinsville, Wis. Harry E. STEWART, STM2fc U. S. S. Bearss DD 654, U. S. Naval Base, Charleston, S, C, Norman, STOCKSTON, Jr., STM1jc Walter STRAUSS, F1 fc U. S. S. Stevenson CDD 6453, Navy Yard, Charleston, S. C, George Edwin STOTELMYER, F1 fc 923 South 20th St., New Castle, Ind. Lyle Alton STROHM, SF2fc 433' South Tacoma Ave., Tacoma, Wash, William Lawrence SVOBODA, F1 fc 5712 South Blvd, Maple Heights, Ohio. Percy Grizzard SYLVA, CBMCTQ 321 South Pine St., Richmond, Va. George William TAIVALKOSKI, F1 fc Box 190, Hohawk, Mich. Samuel Black TATUM, SSMB2jc Rt. No. 2, Linden, Tenn. Richard B. TAYLOR, CSM Com. Chas. Group 16th Fleet, Charleston Navy Yard, Charleston, S. C. Darrell Boyd THACKER, FCO3jcCT9 U. S. S. Yosemite CAD 193, Fleet Post Office, San Francisco, Calif. Arthur Peter THORSEN, MM2fe 1850 Greeley St., Muskegon, Mich. Hanson Randolph THROWER, Jr., FCO2jc 3113 Oaklyn Ave., Tampa, Fla. Melvin C. TIEGS, MM3jcCT3 1308 South 35th St., Milwaukee, Wis. Lee Warren TRAWICK, S1 fcCGMJ U. S. S. LSM 116, Eleet Post Office, San Francisco, Calif. Thomas Russell TRIBBY, F1 fc 1306 Broadway Blvd., Flint, Mich. Richard Arden ULMER, FC2fc 507 S. Poplar St., Bucyrus, Ohio. George Christian UMBREIT, WT3fc 703 East Broadway, Winona, Minn. William John UPTON, Jr., F1 fc Kasota, Minn. William Henry VANDEWATER, EM3jc 622 N. 62 St., East St. Louis, Ill. Billy Joe VANHOOSE, S1 jc R. F. D. No. 1, Catlettsburg, Ky. John William VAN OORT, F1 fc Milford, Iowa. Americo VARDARO, Cox 1329 Hyde Park Ave., Boston, Mass. Joseph VASILE, S1 fc 1948 S. 22nd St., Philadelphia, Pa. Howard Lee VAUGHT, MM3fc P. L. Box 225, Wynne, Ark. Ronald Calvin VERMILLION, S1 jc U. S. S. Yosemite CAD 193 Fleet Post Office, San Francisco, Calif. Albert Stanley VIEDAKA, Cox 106 N. Bowers St., Shenandoah, Pa. Ronald Lamont VIETS, CQMCTD Port Director, Sasebo, Kyushu, Japan. Fleet Post Office, San Francisco, Calif. Bernard Anthony VILK, S1 jc 211 Market St., Westville, Ill. Thomas VILLANTI, SK1fcCTJ 40 Butler St., Brooklyn, N. Y. Harold Mike VIRNIG, MM2fc 805 28 SL. N. Fargo, N. Dak. John William WABLE, CWT Com. Chars. Grp. 16th Flt., Charleston Navy Yard, Charleston, S. C. Mitchel Andrew WEBBER, MM1fc CTJ Dexter, Ore. I Leroy Matthew VVEISS, MM1fc R. No. 7, Evansville, Ind. Arnold Robert WENDT, Jr., MM2jcCT5 1750 Ira Avenue N. W., Grand Rapids, Mich. William Ernest WENGER, RM2fcCTJ 561 Edwards Ave., Benton Harbor, Mich. John WENSKUNAS, Sr., B3 fcCTJ 216Ma E. Walnut St., Oglesby, Ill. John Elijah WHITE, Cox. Woonsocket, S. Dak. Kenneth William WHITE, WT2fc Bldg. 29, Apt. C, Longfellow Drive, Homestead, Pa. Robert Edward WHITE, RDM3fc 4250 Central Ave., San Diego, Calif. Jourtney Alexander WHITELEY, MM1jc Classification Center, RS, San Francisco, Calif., F. P. O. Robert Frederick WIEDEMER, EM2fc 118 Colorado St., Buffalo, N. Y. Johnny Cecil WILLARD, S1 fc Mt. Airy, N. C., Route No. 1. Clarence E. WILLIAMS, S1 fc U. S. S. Arcadia AD 23. Grady Louis WILLIAMS, S2 fc Route No. 1, Box 136, Idabel, Okla. George Boyd WILLIAMS, S1 fc 2204 40th Ave., Meridian, Miss. ' Henry Caswell WILLIAMS, S1 fc Pine Grove Rt. No. 4, Johnson City, Tenn James Fred WILLIAMS, SSMCLJ3fcCTy Wedowee, Ala. Joseph Cann WILLIAMS, Jr., RdM3jc 307 Woodbine Ave., Westville, N. J. Marvin WILLIAMS, Ck2fcCTJ 324 Fuller St., Sulphur Springs, Tex. Roy WILLIAMS, F1 jc Killen, Ala. Walter Junior VVILLIAMS, CoxCT3 341 East Eagle St., East Boston, Mass. Mack Loyd WILLIAMSON, S1 fc 3525 Franklin Ave., New Orleans, La. John Wesley WILLIS, Jr., F1 fc U. S. S. Eaton CDD 5103. Charleston Navy Yard, Charleston, S. C. Raymond Frank WILLIS, S1 jc Gen. Delivery, Delmar, Ala. Thomas Taylor WILLIS, S1 fc Sherwood, Tenn. -23- I 1 vi 1 3 5 I l 1 I Donn Allison WILSON, TM2fc 200 E. Elizabeth St., Pittsburgh, Pa Linwood Nelson WILSON, S1 fc .1505 Taylor St., Lynchburg, Va. Lucious Tanner WILSON, S1 jc P. O. B025 87, Stapleton, Ala. Wiliam Ace WILSON, S1fcV6 617 Hartford Road, Gamble Valley, Oak Ridge, Tenn. Gerald Franklin WINEHOLD, Slfc York Rt. No. 2, York, Pa. Dewey Robert VVINSTON, StM1fc 2830 31st Ave., S. Minnapolis, Minn. Clifford Eugene XTENTER, GM3jC 264 W. Markt St., Johnson City, Tenn., William Danul WINTER, Jr., S2jcV6 Rt. No. 1, Box 110, Tutwiler, Miss. Edward WOINSKI, S-1 jc U. S. S. Arcadia, AD 23. Jesse Leon WOOD, S1 fc Rt. No. 1, Guntersville, Ala. Oscar Calvin WOOD, S2 fc Rt. No. 4, Lexington, Tenn. Earl Floyd WORKMAN, S1 fc 3564 Belmont Ave., Fresno, Calif. Joseph Robert YAROLIMEK, RM 3 fc Wabasha, Minn. Louis Joseph YATES, MoM.M1fc Lake Orion, Mich. William Madison YOUNG, Cox Com. Chas. Grop 16th Fleet, Joseph D. YOW, S1 fc U. S. S. Arcadia QAD' 235. U. S. Naval Shipyard, Charleston, S. Jack ZEEKS, GM3fciTJ Rt. No .2, Pennington Gap, Va. Arthur Walter ZSCHIEDRICH, S1 jc 2472 Verbena St., New Orleans, La. DESTROYER SQUADRON 24 STAFF Captain Edward Watson Young, USN 344 Pomona Ave., Coronado, Calif. Lt. Comdr. Robert Small BACKUS, USNR Wauwinet House, Wauwinet, Nantucket Island, Mass. Lieut. Robert Dwight FENN, USNR 440 South Lucerne Blvd., Los Angeles, Calif. Lieut. Buell Monroe BROOKS, USNR 821 No-rth Olive, Alhambra, Calif. Lt. fig? Hugh Emerson REYNOLDS, USNR 7653 Kingston Ave., Chicago, Ill. Lt. ijgj Doughlas B. McMONAGLE, USNR 19 DeForest St., Binghamton, N. Y. ENLISTED PERSONNEL Jerry C. JARRIEL, Y1 fc R. F. D. No. 2, Collins, Ga. Mauice G. STACK, Y1 jc 1524 Van Buren, Topeka, Kans, Theodore C. PADOLSKY, RM1jc U. S. S. Wadsworth CDD 5163, 96 Fleet Post Office, San Francisco, Calif, I A A szcnou L Fg muon DWIBIW p OFFIGERS , 1- Bobby George TI-IURMAN, RM1jc U. S. S. Daly CDD 5197, F. P. O., San Francisco, Calif. Roger R. OLESON, R.M1jc R. F. D. No. 4, Hutchinson, Minn. "C" "W" NEWMAN, RM3jc 808 S. Main St., Royal Oak, Mich.. Levon MASOOMIAN, RM3jc 325 East 28th St., New York City, George E. TAIT, SM1fc U. S. S. Springfield CCL66l, F. P. O., San Francisco, Calif. Darrel B. HEDRICK, SM f2c R. R. No. 1, Franklin, Ind. Norman P. SCHMIDT, SM3fc 2657 Portland Rd., Salem, Ore. Howard V. MOODY, SM3fc Route 1, Box 165, Lancaster, S. C. Herbert L. NORRIS, SM3jc Payette, Idaho. Paul L. GODVVIN, StM1jc Burnsville, Ala. PUB ' 'nom op ELIC REI-A omcgmvv srimnaui' -2,- 1 c. 16, N. Y - , I 72 if SHIPS DATA ECTION PUBLIC INFORMA ION DIVISION OFFICE OF PUB C RELATIONS NAVY D ARTMENT X f If

Suggestions in the Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book collection:

Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collection, 1946 Edition, Page 30

1946, pg 30

Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collection, 1946 Edition, Page 9

1946, pg 9

Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collection, 1946 Edition, Page 6

1946, pg 6

Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collection, 1946 Edition, Page 5

1946, pg 5

Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collection, 1946 Edition, Page 25

1946, pg 25

Anthony (DD 515) - Naval Cruise Book online yearbook collection, 1946 Edition, Page 23

1946, pg 23

1985 Edition, online yearbooks, online annuals 1970 Edition, online yearbooks, online annuals 1972 Edition, online yearbooks, online annuals 1965 Edition, online yearbooks, online annuals 1983 Edition, online yearbooks, online annuals 1983 Edition, online yearbooks, online annuals
Are you trying to find old school friends, old classmates, fellow servicemen or shipmates? Do you want to see past girlfriends or boyfriends? Relive homecoming, prom, graduation, and other moments on campus captured in yearbook pictures. Revisit your fraternity or sorority and see familiar places. See members of old school clubs and relive old times. Start your search today! Looking for old family members and relatives? Do you want to find pictures of parents or grandparents when they were in school? Want to find out what hairstyle was popular in the 1920s? has a wealth of genealogy information spanning over a century for many schools with full text search. Use our online Genealogy Resource to uncover history quickly! Are you planning a reunion and need assistance? can help you with scanning and providing access to yearbook images for promotional materials and activities. We can provide you with an electronic version of your yearbook that can assist you with reunion planning. will also publish the yearbook images online for people to share and enjoy.